will a change help ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question will a change help ?

I have a 1995 F150 2wd supercab shortbox
with a 5.0L E4OD trans. For some reason this truck has a 3.31 diff.this combination is not even mentioned in the owners manual.Iam towing a 23 ft travel trailer approx 4500 lbs. I would like a little more power on the hills and perhaps be able to use a little less gas peddle in general. Do you think I would see a difference by changing to a 3.55 or even a 4.10 and what do you think the difference in fuel economy would be when towing and not towing. Presently I get between 12& 13 impg towing and 18 & 20 impg not towing .An imperial gallon is approx.4.5 us qts before you think this mileage is exceptional. And finallly what should I expect to pay for a new set of gears.
Thanks

Old 09-22-2004, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently went to 4.10 from 3.55 and noticed marked improvement in towing performance especially on hills. Granted no two trucks will exhibit the same economy due to difference in engine, drivers and hills and such but I only lost about 1 mpg on the highway and havn't noticed a difference in town. I drive 50 highway miles round trip each day to work and have a habbit of averaging my mileage when I fill up. As far as towing, mpg seems to be close to the same if not a little less.

As far as price, it all depends on what size rear end you have, what brand you buy and who puts them in. I have the 8.8" rear end and that size is easy to come by. I bought Ford Performance Parts gears because they are made to the same dimensions as the stock gears and are generally easier to setup. Several shops in my area recommended them because they tend to be quieter. The gears were only $180.00US and the install kit was about $50.00. If you have the 9.75" or larger rear expect to pay more. Ford lists the job as a 4-6 hour process in their manuals, so factor that in with your local labor rates if your not doing the work. I also recommend you do have it done for you unless you are familiar with this kind of work or are very confortable diving in and can get the right tools for the job. The results can be disasterous if not done correctly. Hope this helps.

Last edited by tmc0747; 09-22-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-22-2004, 11:06 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would change those gears if you plan on keeping the truck for towing, it will greatly emprove your towing, and give the tranny a longer life

Quick Reply: will a change help ?