intermitant 4x4 noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question intermitant 4x4 noise

Help
I have a 2004 f150 fx4. w/ 5.4 . It has started making a loud metallic grinding, bumping noise. The noise seems to be coming from the transmission. I can go for 2 or 3 days without this occuring, then it might happen 2 or 3 times in one day. I have taken it back to the dealer twice with no solution. They tell me bring it back when it is making the noise. The only problem is that it is intermitant and only lasts for a couple of miles. Any ideas?
thanx
bud

Old 12-12-2005, 02:08 PM
I have the exact same problem

Good Luck at the dealerships, We have the exact problem, however the service department says they have to verify it, how can they when as you say it doesn't do it all of the time, you hit the brakes and it stops doing it. I am at my wits end trying to get the Ford dealerships to step up and fix something that is wrong that they can not trust what the customer is telling them and to look into it.

I'm at a lose for words when you spend in the area of 28,000 to 32,000 for a BUILT FORD TOUGH PIECE OF CRAP.

Old 12-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Bud and Okie - Check some of the previous posts. I've been having the same problem. Same rig as yours, '04 FX4 5.4L. As best as I can tell based on posts, it's a vacuum line or a solenoid that controls 4 wd engagment in the transfer case. I've read 5 or 6 posts on this site and one other. I'm surprised there's no recall or Service Bulleting. Mine's going back to the dealer again tomorrow.

The next time the grinding starts, flip to 4H. On mine, it stops immediately. I'll let you know how I make out tomorrow.

Old 12-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Update....Dealer FINALLY heard the problem. They ordered a "4x4 motor". Hope to have it in next week. More to come.....

Old 01-02-2006, 09:00 PM
My 04 FX4 SC does the same exact thing and I took it to my dealer and it would not do it for them. Did they fix yours by putting a 4X4 shift motor in or what did they do? Appreciate any help on this.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:26 PM
The dealer likely will not fix anything until they actually hear it happen. It's frustrating. I got lucky that it happened on my 2nd visit. The 4x4 motor is still on back order - it's been 3 weeks now. You'd think a part for a F150 would be easy to find!!

Oddly, the truck has been running fine since the part was put on order - no grinding.

lauhtgac - check other posts on this site for other solutions. I've heard about vacuum problems and solenoid problems. Many smart people here !!

Old 01-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Angry 4x4 noise

see mxk2004 post, I final got it fixed (I think) will go out to truck and get work order so I can post the parts they used.
Here are the parts
2 x BRS 97 seal
2 x 5L1Z 3C247 A Actuator Asy

Correction: accessed front knuckles and replaced 2 vacumn actuators and 2 hub seals not releasing properly.

Nope this helps some of you.

Last edited by mxk2004; 01-04-2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-05-2006, 02:07 PM
I have the same issue - dealer solution

I was having the same issue. The noise I heard sounded almost like the brake pads had completely worn away and the caliper was grinding on the rotor. The noise would go away if I switched into 4-high, and then back into 2 wd.

The dealer couldn't get the noise to happen for them, but they said that they'd seen this before and it had to do with the diaphram in the wheel housing. From what they said, and it seems to match up with what everyone else has been told in that the issue resides in the vacuum system, is that apparently, water makes its way into the diaphram and when it's cold, the water freezes, swells, and prevents the diaphram from functioning properly.

The only issue I have with that explanation is that I've had the sound occur when temps were above freezing. None the less, the dealer has replaced the part, and I'm waiting to get the truck back. So, I'll let everyone know if this fixes my problem. If anything, this just arms everyone with more info when going to the dealership.

For what it's worth, I have a 04 SCREW 5.4l, although this issue doesn't seem to be model specific.

Old 01-05-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks Backer... I'm not sure if the problem is related to temperature, but then again, there appears to be muliple possible problems. Your's is one I hadn't hear yet. I've been driving in mostly sub freezing very snowy weather and the problem hasn't happened for weeks.

I got a call today from Ford that my part is in. I'll bring it down early next week and report back.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:22 PM
4X4 motor-intermitant noise

I've been going round and round with the dealer with this situation for weeks now.First they repaired my clutches in the rear end because my limited slip was not working right.Then I took it back again for the grinding ice machine noise and they found whining in my transmission.They did fix my tranny,
but the next day the grinding started again.So I took it right back and they kept it for 3 days and put 150 miles on it and found nothing.I got tired of not having my truck so I took it back.22 miles later the grinding happened 3 times.Now I called the service manager about it and he said they have to hear it.So here I sit a week later and my truck grinds 4 to 8 times a day.
When it starts grinding,I have to either put the brakes on to a stop,or hit
4HI. and it goes away.My main concern is what is this doing to my transfer case.ANY ONE OF YOU PEOPLE THAT HAVE THIS PROBLEM AND HAVE THE SOLUTION, PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU DID TO REMEDY IT.thanks,guys and gals.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Update on my previous post.

I just got my truck back today, and thus far it seems fixed.
They had to replace the wheel bearings in the front driver side, and replaced the servo motors that control the vacuum system which controls the engage/disengage of 4wd.

My dealership didn't give me any qualms about fixing it, and even though they couldn't get the noise to happen for them, they knew what to replace and did it right away.
So, if any of you are being told by your dealership that they can't work on it unless they hear it, I'd call their bluff.
Even though they couldn't recreate the problem, it was all still covered under warranty.

And also as with what some of you had said, my issue was like yours in that even though the dealer claimed it could be temperature dependant, it wasn't. It was rather random, and unpredictable.

So, in any case, all of the above is the only solution I know of thus far. And so far it's worked on my truck.

Good luck!

Old 01-16-2006, 05:10 PM
Dealer installed the 4x4 motor 10 days ago. I've since driven in all types of weather conditions. Seems ok so far.

Quick Reply: intermitant 4x4 noise