Leaky rear end?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky rear end?

I looked under my truck today and saw what looked like oil splatters on my right rear shock. I got under my truck and looked at the driveline where it connects with the rear-end and there was oil all over it. The metal plate right behind the u-joints where the u-joints bolt up to the pinion gear is what I'm talking about. It was soaked in oil, and it looked like oil had been spewing on the rear of my gas tank. I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone about it yet. So I figured I'd get some opinions on what it might be. I'm thinking it's the pinion seal. If so, how much are they and how easy are they to replace? Thanks for any info. Btw, I checked the rear end oil right before winter started and it was ok. I just noticed this leak today.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:10 AM
Was the axle dry when you checked the fluid 'just before winter'?

If it was, and gear oil is what is sprayed all over the gas tank and shock, I'd get the pinion seal replaced right away. That's a significant leak...

You might also check your brake line to make sure you haven't popped the rear line. That will make a real mess quickly, and your dash light should also come on as the reservoir drains.

If the brake line is okay, and the rear fluid level looks good, I'd spray the axle with Brake Kleen, then take a short drive and see if there's any leak evidence. That migh help pinpoint your leak.

Good Luck!

Old 12-14-2004, 10:41 AM
The axle (rear-end) was full of oil when I checked it, and it wasn't leaking. But that was just before winter started. Now it is leaking. I just now happened to think back two or three days ago, I was driving down the road at 45 mph and heard a sound like a rock flew up off my tire and smacked the underside of my bed. Or thats what it sounded like. I thought it was nothing and continued to drive. And that's around the time I found the leak was after this happened. I'll try the brake-kleen and try to pinpoint the leak. I haven't looked at the brakes yet, but I'll definatley check them out. Thanks for the info.

Old 12-14-2004, 10:58 AM
Ok, I just went out and checked and there was some oil (rear-end fluid) dripping from the round metal plate where the pinion and the driveshaft bolt up. I smelled of the oil, and there is a charry burned smell to it so I definatley know its the rear end fluid leaking. Since the oil is accumulating or being spewed on the back of the gas tank and shocks, it has to be in my book a leaky pinion gear seal? There are no leaks around the back coverplate on the rear-end. Oh, and the brakes look ok.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Probably the pinion seal, mine also leaked. It was under warranty at the time though. It was done very quickly, less than two hours if I remember correctly.,,,,98

Old 12-14-2004, 12:30 PM
I just had a mechanic look at it. And he said it was the pinion seal. I went to Advance and bought one for $4.55. The mechanic said it wasn't leaking to bad, but enough to notice it. I asked him if it would be ok to wait until after x-mas before I brought it in because I'm short on cash right now (Christmas shopping takes it toll) and he said yeah, but to keep ane eye on the oil level. So I went out and bought a quart of gear oil to top it off if it gets low. He said he'd charge $30-$35 to do it. Is this a good price? Thanks in advance.

Old 12-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Also, I forgot to ask...will the mechanic have to change the gear oil? Or just top it off? Just wondering.

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2004, 02:36 PM
ttt

Old 12-23-2004, 09:39 PM
Replacing the pinon seal is apparently easy enough. I just had one replaced at the Ford dealer for about $90 total. They did it while they were changing the oil.

Quick Reply: Leaky rear end?