Is my limited slip not working?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my limited slip not working?

I have an 02 F150 2WD 5.4L with limited slip differential and 24K miles. This week, on a wet boat ramp, my rear tires broke loose as I was retrieving my boat. The ramp is grooved to help traction and I did not jump on the throttle. I was alone so I cannot say for sure if both wheels broke loose, but my impression was only one. Usually, there is no tire spin...not single, not both.

Today, when I was pulling up some small shrubs in the yard with the truck, I almost got stuck in a wet area. This time, it was obvious that the right rear wheel was spinning alone.

I moved the truck to a flat, grassy but fairly firm area nearby and jumped on the gas a couple of times. Judging by the streaks, both tires were spinning.

In all the cases above, there was no load in the bed of the truck.

So, do I have a problem, or not? I've made an appointment to have it checked. Should I cancel it?

Thanks very much.

Bill

Old 03-10-2005, 03:30 PM
For the information of anyone who might respond, both cases where I appeared to have only one wheel spinning, the throttle was fairly light. I jumped on it significantly more in the test which appeared to make both wheels spin.

Could this be the difference? Does LS only work under heavier acceleration?

Thanks again.

Bill

Old 03-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes what you are refering to is the preload of the limited slip in your diff under light throttle only one tire will spin untill more torqe is applied(more throttle) the spicer trak lock is what you have in your diff i belive getting a high performance ls or locker will cure your prolem, but yes your ls is working

Old 03-11-2005, 08:08 AM
Bigtruck,

Thanks much. Think I'll cancel my service appt. In case there is an intermittent problem (maybe resulting from dragging some logs around the yard after a storm a couple of years ago) I should have a fishing trip or two before the warranty runs out to check it again. Thanks again.

Bill

Old 03-11-2005, 08:54 AM
I'v read that by gently applying the brakes at the same time, you'll get the LS to jump in sooner and help out. The last time I tried it when I was in a soft spot last hunting season, it did not quite seem to help, but then I had to change my rear brakes this winter cause they were shot. So maybe with good rear brakes, it might make the LS come in a little early, before the front brakes makes you stop

Just passing along what I read somewhere.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:15 PM
I need help oll so on L/S

Originally posted by bbogue
For the information of anyone who might respond, both cases where I appeared to have only one wheel spinning, the throttle was fairly light. I jumped on it significantly more in the test which appeared to make both wheels spin.

Could this be the difference? Does LS only work under heavier acceleration?

Thanks again.

Bill
I took my truck for service today they did the test and it passed but they still put new cluthes in the rear end, NO HELP no matter how much pedel I give it the front tires spin and the back right spins but the back left tire will not even try to pull at att any help would be great please send me a e-mail at shotzie988@aol.com

Old 03-29-2005, 09:56 PM
shotzie988,

Your having the same problem as i am. My truck now has 103,000 miles, however the limited slip has never worked very well. After speaking with several 4 wheel drive specialty shops, I have discovered that our trucks have a trac-lok and they are VERY mild units and hardly work at all until you apply severe torque to them. I am now fed up with the whole thing and i'm now in the process of purchasing a new Eaton LS or the Auburn Gear LS. Not sure which is best but i'll have one or the other on order by late next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Quick Reply: Is my limited slip not working?