Changing the rear u joint

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 01:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing the rear u joint

hey everyone,
I need to change out my universal joint where the driveshaft meets the rear differential. I went ahead and purchased the u joint and need to put it in. I want to save the money and do it myself since it does not appear to be hard. How do i change it out? I am mechanically inclined but have never done this before. if you respond to this post please give a complete discription if you would. Thanks a lot for your time.

Old 03-13-2005, 01:28 AM
Sorry, i forgot to let you know what I have!
1997 F150 4X4
Thanks

Old 03-13-2005, 10:51 PM
Well it is a good thing i figured this one out on my own. I guess I now have the high power of being the only person that knows how to change out universal joints on f150online. This is why I am much cooler than all of you and can run over your truck with my 40" swampers on my 97 4X4.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, I missed this thread. But u-joints are pretty straight forward, unless you get one of the caps going kock-a-mamie and get it wedged. And of course dropping a cap and having little roller bearings disperse everywhere is always a thrill.

I changed out my first u-joint 20 years ago in a 7-11 parking lot at night. Been several years since the last time I messed with one, although I still have a special homemade punch for driving out the caps. Heat and/or penetrating fluid can help as well if you're working on an old beater with several hundred thousand miles on it.

Anyway, the thought of attempting the job is a lot scarier than actually doing the job. Glad you fingered it out.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:44 PM
I looked here before I did mine tonite, and didn't see many hints/tricks/tips, so I thought I'd post mine.
2001 F150, Ex cab, Short bed, 4x4, 100,000 MI.

If you can, the day/night before spray both u-joints liberally with penetrating oil, as well as the 4 bolts @ rear
Mark boths ends of the driveshaft to match up later
Remove 4 bolts holding rear of driveshaft
Gently pry rear of driveshaft forward to let it down (careful, it might pop quickly, don't be under it)
pull front of driveshaft back
now that the driveshaft is free, move to a more workable space
I set mine up in a vice, with a socket (Junk one) small enough to fit through on one side of the u-joint , and a socket big enough to let the u-joint cap to go through, but small enough to press evenly on the driveshaft on the other side.
Start with light pressure. Here's where a torch might come in handy. Heat the ends of the driveshaft to let the expand slightly, not the U-joint caps though.
Start increasing the pressure until it starts to slide through.
If it's still sticking, you might want to try tapping on the driveshaft where you just heated to pop anthing loose.
Actually, I ended up using a BFH and a punch to help get it started
After I pressed the one cap through until the u-joint hit on the other side, I used a punch to finish the cap through
Turn the joint over and use the smaller socket and a hammer to bang the other side through, to the point I could use a puch to finish it.

To install, remove caps of the new u-joints carefully. Check that all of the pins are where they're suppose to be. If you get one sideways while you're installing, you'll get the cap most of the way on, but then it'll get stuck, and you'll have to remove it and start over.
Insert u-joint in driveshaft and start slipping caps over
Once caps are on to the point you can't slide them on by hand, use a c-clamp, or hammer and socket to get it just past the clip notch.
Install clip. Make sure it seats correctly in the notch.
turn it over and do the same to the other side. You should be able to push the cap through until the cap on the other side hits the clip you just installed.

If you have the ones with grease fittings, top them off.
slip the front of the drivshaft in, aligning with the marks you made @ the start, and the rear should line up just right.

P.S. Not a pro, but it got the job done!

Quick Reply: Changing the rear u joint