Diff Cover Torque

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Diff Cover Torque

I've been searching the archives and read different testimonies about the proper torque for the dif cover bolts. I've seen as low as 10 ft/lbs up to 38 ft/lbs. Has anybody found out for certain or does it depend on whether you use RTV or a gasket? I'm going to change the dif fluid and use RTV next week and I'd really like to know.

Also, WHEN are you supposed to torque the bolts down fully? One person said to hand tighten them when you reinstall the cover and then fully torque them after the RTV has had time to dry completely.

Sorry for the long message. Any help y'all can give will be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clean surfaces completly make shure they are dry put a continues beed of black silicone sealer also go around bolt holes install within 15 minutes of silicone application install and tighten bolts to 33ft/lb torque let cure for one hour before adding lube and additive. As per Forsservice manuel.

Old 03-27-2005, 06:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Go to any parts store that sells FelPro gaskets and buy a 8.8 differential gasket,part # RDS-55431.Install the gasket and cover,torque bolts to 28-38 ft-lbs and install oil.No waiting,and guaranteed not to leak!

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-28-2005, 10:11 AM
REMEMBER....when using a gasket maker, if it smells like vinegar, it's not made for oil, so don't use it. Make sure you get the right stuff. Loctite and Permatex make great gasket makers.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:50 PM
MyFordTruck98,
I was wondering if you could possibly explain a little more in detail in what was all involved in lifting ur truck. I just think it looks freakin awesome and would like to do it to mine. I have pretty much the exact same truck in tan/black. I dont really understand how u do the front end lift so if ya got any pictures thatd be great. Also if ya dont mind what brand/model of grill guard is that on your truck?

Thanks

Last edited by Tex54; 03-29-2005 at 10:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Diff Cover Torque