Eaton vs. Auburn Gear Limited Slip

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eaton vs. Auburn Gear Limited Slip

Hello everyone,

I'm in the market for a new limited slip as the original factory has never worked well since new. I can be on a hill or in the mud and two wheels are rarely seen turning. Normally i get one wheel spinning and the other just barely turns. Anyway, from what i've seen thus far it looks like the best are the Eaton and Auburn. What are your thoughts and has anyone had experience with both for comparision? I do 75% highway and 25% huntclub driving so i need something that is road friendly as well.

By the way, I have the 9.75 diff which both Eaton and Auburn now supply a unit for this setup.

Thanks for your help...

Old 03-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
both are good units, i would say auburn gear would be my choise but they are farely simular

Old 03-30-2005, 10:54 PM
I've just had the Auburn ECTED installed in my '87 F-150 and am wondering if the unit will function properly with synthetic gear oil? The manual says to only use non-synthetic, yet the installer says using synthetic wouldn't cause any problems.

I ask because somewhere here I read that one of the members used synthetic in a Eaton lim. slip diff. and because the syn. oil was so slippery it didn't allow the unit to work as a lim. slip.

Make sense? Any thoughts?

Old 03-31-2005, 01:25 AM
Disregard my last post. I did a lot of searching around the site and I believe I have my answer -

synthetic - no need for friction modifier (unless large amount of clutch chatter)

Old 03-31-2005, 10:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
hey oldfrd how do you like the ected?

Old 04-01-2005, 08:50 AM
Well, I'm one of those individuals that gets all sorts of neat stuff on his vehicle - just in case...

I'm still being real easy on the new gears and haven't hit the 500 mile mark yet to change out the gear oil, so I really don't have any real-world experience with the ECTED yet. I'm kicking myself for only going up to 3.73 (from 3.55) instead of doing the smart thing and getting 4.10. Oh well, maybe in another 100,000 miles I'll switch out.

Honestly, I was really looking forward to the Detroit Electrac but it's not available for the 8.8 yet and, according to one of the engineers at the company, won't be out until sometime next year. So, having an open diff. and needing something I went with Auburn. I'm a sucker for good marketing and liked the D-REX program as well as Auburn's (biased I'm sure) stats as to how their stuff stacks up to others.

I guess time will tell if I made the right call, but I'd like to hear what others say about my choices.

Old 04-02-2005, 06:00 PM
I was going with the the Auburn as well but just found out the the true trac will be avaliable this summer for a 9.75 diff. I'm going to try this unit considering is supposed to act like a locker except when one wheel is in the air. This this happens it won't work at all but all of my driving is in mud and snow anyway (no rock crawling). Other advantages are as follows: no additives needed for the oil, and I can run synthetic oil. There are also no clutches to wear out since it only uses gears. Hopefully the thing will be for sale by June.

Trending Topics

Old 04-03-2005, 02:12 PM
1saw -

Which Hawk pads are you using? I got the HPS Truck pads and although they work very well, they are a bit on the noisy side. How about yours?

Old 04-03-2005, 04:12 PM
Believe it or not i can't remember... However, if you go to the powerslot website I believe they show the ones they recommend. When I purchased they powerslots they recommend one of the Hawks. After 7,000 miles i have no noise and they stop great.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Eaton vs. Auburn Gear Limited Slip