Clunk in rear end

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk in rear end

I recently replaced my fried axle assembly with an axle assembly from a reputable junk yard(came with a warranty)It had 60,000
miles on it when purchased. About 3000 miles later, a clunking
noise developed when traveling over uneven surfaces.Could
the wheel bearings or drums be shot?I had the U-bolts checked and replaced the universal.Please help, the repair
shop said it was normal, but I don't think so!

Old 03-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Phil,
I saw you posted under lifted trucks you had a 4inch body lift, where did you get it and who makes it and how much? Was going to email you but you have that service blocked.

Pasta

Old 03-31-2005, 12:19 AM
Pasta,
The 4" body lift was already on the truck when I got it.
Wish I could help!
Phil

Old 03-31-2005, 10:30 AM
Did you swap springs and all or just the housing? I had a GMC that developed that noise and it turns out a big part of it was it had an extremely weak leaf spring on the drivers side. So weak that when it dangled i could pick up the axle without much more force than the weight of the axle. I would also check the shock mount bolts. Those can work loose and rattle back and forth. Go over the U bolts again and make sure that the pin up through the spring (it locates the spring on the axle) is not broken. Is there a suspension lift on it as well? If there is go over all the fasteners on the rear for it while you are at it.

Hope that gives you a place to start.

PS. If the body lift is the plastic block type have a good look at those too. One could have cracked or something letting the bed move a little. Might as well check all the bed bolts. I have had them work loose on me and cause an extra clunk over bumps.

Quick Reply: Clunk in rear end