1996 Hub Removal help

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 Hub Removal help

Guys I need some help. I am replacing the front rotor on my 96 F-150.
I have gotten the outer axle nut off. Now is my problem. Behind the nut is a washer with holes all the way around it. On the inside diameter is a tab that goes in a slot on the threads where the axle nut threads onto. There appears to be a pin in one of the top holes. The washer is loose but appears to be held in place by a combination of the tab and pin. Does anyone know how to remove these?
Thanks

Old 04-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Make a hook tool out of a stiff piecee of wire pull the washer off there is a second nut behind it with a pin sticking out to enguage with one of the holes. during reinstalation tighten back nut then adjust it back and forth to get the pin to go into hole then tighten outer nut, be carefull not to over tighten the outer nut or you can brake the key and the washer will turn causing major problems.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:43 PM
I tried that, but the key that is in the slot seems to be catching on something. I slid a small screwdriver under the washer and pushed up. Tried pulling with a wire, but still seemed to catch.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Probably someone overtightened the outer nut and the tab on the washe is bent try yhreading a couple of sheet metal screws in the holes to use them as a jack screw make shure the pin is not damaged on the back nut. you may have to replace that washer if the tab is damaged.

Old 04-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks for your help. I finally put a small punch in one of the top holes and tapped it to the right then to the left and it popped off. The rotor was actually easy to pop off the hub compared to the axle nut fiasco.

Quick Reply: 1996 Hub Removal help