"clunk" over bumps, rear end??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"clunk" over bumps, rear end??

After WEEKS of searching archives, I have read many people who have experienced this phenomenon, but no real answers or solutions.

Truck is a 2000 4x4 super cab w/ a 4.6 and 5-speed.

The scenario that I can repeat at any time is this: While I am slowing down with my clutch fully depressed to the floor, or my engine RPM’s are around 1000 and the truck is in gear with the clutch out; when the rear of my truck goes over a bump, such as a rail road crossing or speed bump, I get an awful “clunk” that feels to be coming from the transmission. If my hand is on the shifter, regardless of whether or not it is neutral or a gear, I can feel the clunk. Also, I can just be rolling in neutral with the clutch out and I will get the same clunk

The archive posts attribute this phenomenon to the slip yolk needing lubed, but I suspect that slack in the rear end may be the culprit?? How can I check the rear end to make sure the back lash is now way out of wack??

Any ideas? Do all manual transmission drivers out there get this? My 88 2wd w/ a 5 speed never did this to me so I am a little confused.

The tranny has fresh synchromesh fluid in it. Made shifting a much better experience!

Thanks for any advise…

Quick Reply: "clunk" over bumps, rear end??