2003 Lariet Supercrew powertrain Roar

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2003 Lariet Supercrew powertrain Roar

I've noticed that at 30 to 40 MPH my truck has a powertrain roar. Everything on the truck is factory. No special tires or suspension kits. I am having the truck serviced and I asked that this roar be checked out. Another customer over heard me explaining the problem and told me that his same model truck has had the same problem worked on several times. He said they have replaced several parts of his drivetrain in an effort to correct the howl and nothing has worked.

Is this a common 2003 F150 problem?

Is there a set solution or is each issue different?

Is the hunt and replace until it's gone method the only cure for this type of issue?

Luckily I'm still under warranty.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:47 AM
I don't notice any *roar* with mine.

Smooth shifts, quiet, and sweet.

'Course, I may have been to too many rock concerts. :o

Old 05-12-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks J. I just got a call from the Ford dealer. They said they had to order an Upgraded Gear Set for the Rear End. There is a large back order so it could take as long as three months before it comes in. Sounds like they have issues. You 2003 F150 owners need to listen for the howl.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:01 PM
I had the new updated fix for my 2003, a new gear and pinion set, it did nothing for the whining noise. Instead of 40-55MPH it now occurs between 50 and 60 MPH.

Old 05-12-2005, 10:24 PM
Another gentleman at the dealership said he had his truck in twice with several parts replaced and his still whines. He had it there once again. I'm hoping they have learned since then and have a better fix. When did you have yours replaced?

Old 05-13-2005, 08:36 PM
Final Solution?

Has anyone had this whining issue successfully corrected?
What was the final solution?
Does the pinion gear replacement/upgrade ever solve the problem?
What's the next step if it does not?

Old 05-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a diesel so noise is a afterthought...during this "roar" do you notice any vibrations at the same time?...lets narrow it down now...zap!

Trending Topics

Old 05-13-2005, 09:18 PM
It's more like a mid pitched hum. No Rattle. The truck only has 25,000 miles and it's always done this. I had it in to service a temp sensor in the A/C unit and asked them to drive it to see if they thought the hum was normal.

They ordered 5L3Z-4209-E Gear AN 149985. Told me it would be about 3 months before it came in. Also said driving it until then would not do any further damage. The called it a gear upgrade.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:08 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Parts backorders are relative things. I know we've got those gear set kits in like 2-3 days tops.

Old 05-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Parts backorders are relative things. I know we've got those gear set kits in like 2-3 days tops.
I have a 2003 with the 3.55 LS rear. Had the whine after 10,000 miles. Had the original dealer work on it at 18,000 miles. They did the new driveshaft swap TSB, didnt help. Then, they rebuilt the rear with new ring and pinion etc. Worked for about 3,000 miles then was back. Took it to a different dealer, one closer to me, last Monday. They drove it, called and said "Yes, it has a noise." I was thinking..No ****. I am not deaf. They tore it down and said "We found the problem and have to order some parts." I asked why the first rebuild didnt work and whether this one will last. He said that the first dealer didnt use the "New upgraded parts" that Ford is now recommending in their newest TSB. I said cool. He said a couple days. Well, now he says they are backordered and doesnt know when. Kinda weird since my truck is tore down and sitting there as we speak for over a week. Hopefully soon.
My questions. What exactly is different in the newest TSB and upgraded parts? Sounds like it doesnt work either from other posts, so then what? If its a gear problem, wonder if aftermarket gear sets would be better, or a whole new housing and all?
Has anyone had any luck getting Ford to warranty the rear end past the 3\36,000 standard warranty because of this?
Thanks everyone.

Old 05-15-2005, 10:29 PM
I had the new set recommended by the new TSB, still have the same old noise. The only ones who have it solved got entire new rear axles installed. I am going to do that next, but there's gonna be a new truck wrapped around it.

Old 05-16-2005, 07:04 AM
Thats what I was afraid someone would say. Sucks. I got rid of a Chevy with the piston slap noise for a quiter Ford. Seems like still noisy, just at the other end of the truck! Thanks.

Old 06-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Installed - No noise at all!

It's only been a few days but so far so good! Dropped the truck off at noon on one day and it was ready by 2:30 the next afternoon. They referenced TSB 05-6-18 in the repair breakdown. Hope this fix lasts since others have had this become a recurring issue. Thanks for everyone's insight.

Old 06-27-2005, 10:53 AM
i have been waiting since April for my rearend rebuild. the dealer told me that they have redesigned the gears so that is why they have a national backorder. remember they have to supply the factory with new gear sets and also do all the backorders, i can understand taking 3 months for parts.

i'm lucky i'm still using my truck unlike others

Old 06-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The new gear kits (base part number 4209) come with a ring and pinion, crush sleeve, pinion nut, pinion and carrier bearings, pinion shims and instructions. So far, the ones we done came out okay. Parts plays a big role in driveline noise, but ultimately, some parts faults can be adjusted for with proper rear axle setup.

Quick Reply: 2003 Lariet Supercrew powertrain Roar