auto locking hubs with dash control, VS locking hubs with shifter on floor

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
auto locking hubs with dash control, VS locking hubs with shifter on floor

What do you think of the autolocking on trucks. I was told it works like an all wheel drive. Is this good for off road? I put it in 4WH and hit the gas,on a dirt road, and it left 4 stretches, so I know i'm getting power to the wheels.
Just curious, cause I see alot of auto hubs out there.
stxx123

Old 05-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The manufacturers use the auto locking setup purely for the convenience factor, nothing more. This type of system while reliable, isn't as solid as a manual setup. Most of the auto systems (Ford specifically) use vacuum to engage/disengage the front axle leaving it vulnerable to failure at the time you need it most. A stick or rock getting up behind the wheel can cut or otherwise damage the line leaving you stuck.

Serious off roaders will use manual hubs and a floor shifter to control the front axle. This ensures that you maintain 4x4 until you decide to disengage it. While it is still possible to break this setup, it is far stronger then the auto system.
You just have to put up with the inconvenience of getting out in the muck to lock it in.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
stxx123, I see you have a 97 F250 LD. If it is set up exactly like the F150, you do not have hubs. The F150 has CV joints at the wheel and all hook up for 4x4 is done at the diff. I am just not certain that they did the same between the F150 and the F250LD (aka 7700). I think they did. I hope someone will come along and verify that. The hook up was done this way whether ESOF or MSOF.

Old 05-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Indeed, there are no hubs to lock and unlock on the 97-up F-150 and 250 LD. There is a Center Axle Disconnect that breaks the passenger side axle shaft, and that's what typically fails to engage. Regardless of whether you've got the electronic shift on the fly, or the manual SOTF, the front axle engagement is still controlled by the GEM. 4x4 Posi-Lok makes one for our trucks now if you yearn for manual engagement. It's a simple push-pull cable that bolts on in place of the vacuum actuator on the front axle.

They're pretty reliable systems. Watch for vacuum hose leaks and solenoid failures on the CAD. Other than that, there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong.

-Joe

Old 05-17-2005, 12:13 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
What Joe said. I have been using mine regularly and it only failed once. I had cracked one of the vacuum lined accidentally and didn't notice it till I needed it.
One thing to be aware of is that if you go taller than 35 inch tires you dramatically increase the risk of braking the CV joints. In a situatuion where the wheels are turned and you apply full throttle and remain stuck the plastic cage will self destruct and destroy the CV joint.

JMC

Old 05-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the replies. I was used to my old 86 F150 with manual hubs and shifter. I want to invest some money into this truck, and i want to know if it is capable of handling some off-roading. I Love this truck. So basically, I just have to watch that the vacuum lines, and actuator, stay in good shape.
You guys have some nice trucks!!!!

Quick Reply: auto locking hubs with dash control, VS locking hubs with shifter on floor