Front end 4x4 help please

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front end 4x4 help please

I have a 2001 4x4 w/65xxx mile tires stated to cup and I started hearing a noise comeing from the front so I took the truck in for a front end alinment the guy at the told me my cv axle was bad so they put a new one on I got the truck back same noise so I jacked the front end up when I tried to spin the drivers side wheel it was almost locked up it took a lot of presure to turn so I took it back to shop and they put another cv axle when I went to pick up the truck guy told me that the wheel was still hard to turn but that it was like because it was new bs so I pulled the hub off it was fine tried to turn axle it would turn a half turn then it clunks and stops next check the vac shift system it was fine can anyone help me with this thanks

Old 10-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Anyone please

Old 10-18-2005, 07:50 PM
take a look at your auto-locking hubs. I'm waiting on the parts to come in to fix mine... get a clunk when turning (also while stopped and moving wheel) and as it gets worse, get clunking while transitioning from acceleration to braking. Also , when put in 4X4, will not disengage very easily, and has drags alot.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:52 PM
oops, just saw that you checked those...sorry

Old 10-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Exclamation

I just replaced the vacuum selenoid that sends vacuum to the " 2WD" Side of the front axel disconnect lever. Upon initial inspection, it appeared that the lever was moving both ways. But it was powered into 4x4 OK but the 2wd was just released (maybe allowing for in between state). The coil within
the solinoid (dealer only, $26 list) was open (should be about 60ohms, it meaured open!) . I had some strange noises lately, sounded like brake or axel (I was thinking of axel shats too) . Seems OK now for 100mi. MArk

Old 10-21-2005, 05:15 AM
Thanks for the help guy I took my truck to my local ford shop to have checked out they had my truck all day only to tell me that they do not know what the problem was but it would cost hundreds more to find out.

Old 10-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by akheloce1
take a look at your auto-locking hubs. I'm waiting on the parts to come in to fix mine... get a clunk when turning (also while stopped and moving wheel) and as it gets worse, get clunking while transitioning from acceleration to braking. Also , when put in 4X4, will not disengage very easily, and has drags alot.
There's no way he looked at the locking hubs.... he doesn't have locking hubs.

-Joe

Quick Reply: Front end 4x4 help please