Differential Noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differential Noise

Guys, I just had my 8.8 differential rebuilt on my 99 F150 by a local shop. It now makes a sustained hum or howl, especially when I decelerate. It is very audible between 35mph and 60mph. The shop has worked on it once since the repair. The guy at the shop wanted me to put 1000 miles on it to see if it quits. I think he's blowin' smoke. Also, I noticed that my driveline has 3/4" of fresh exposed metal where it goes into the tranny. Any ideas??

Old 12-22-2005, 12:38 AM
Take It Back And Tell Them There Is To Much Backlash They Should Know Better ..... But Ive Be Beat The Same Way

Old 12-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Are they Richmond gears? They can be loud.

Old 12-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yes what you hear is off throttle wine becuase there is to much space (backlash) on the ring and pinion causing it to wine on the coast side they should reinstall it corectly, this will cause wear and posible falure latter down the road and will not get better if you dont get it fixed, good luck

Old 01-01-2006, 05:01 PM
I have the exact same tihing with my truck the only difference is I did the work my self for the first time. Never did a diff before. Ok now that I no why it's making nosie.

Are you saying that the ring gear needs to move toward the pinoin gear? Because I used a dial indicator and the total play or (backlash) is .006" I think that's ok.

If all I have to do is open the case and move the carier closer to the pinoin gear that should be a fast one.

Old 01-02-2006, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by bohnman
I have the exact same tihing with my truck the only difference is I did the work my self for the first time. Never did a diff before. Ok now that I no why it's making nosie.

Are you saying that the ring gear needs to move toward the pinoin gear? Because I used a dial indicator and the total play or (backlash) is .006" I think that's ok.

If all I have to do is open the case and move the carier closer to the pinoin gear that should be a fast one.
what were the specks for the ring and pinion you installed? it should be on the pinion what your baclash should be, each ring and pinion is a matched set and will have a diffrent speck., but .006 is alittle tight, .01 would be better

Old 01-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I'm giving up I'm going to take it to a trans shop hopefully they can fix it and not charge me a arm and a leg.

Old 01-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally Posted by bohnman
I'm giving up I'm going to take it to a trans shop hopefully they can fix it and not charge me a arm and a leg.
i would stay away from tranny shops, i would ask around and find a good drivetrain or rearend shop with a good rep, offraod shops usaully have good rearend mechs also as they do alot of ring and pinions, and if they dont it would be a good place to ask, good luck

Quick Reply: Differential Noise