Increase MPG

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Clifford f150
I'm always suspicious any time the author promises a 'revolutionary idea which "THEY" don't want you to know' but will dramatically improve things.

Also, how many times was it mentioned that you NEED a scangauge? Sounds almost like a paid endorsement (IE ad)

Well, I love my ScanGauge. I never saw anyone say you 'needed' it. I may have missed those posts.

I heard about it in the 04-06 forums and bought one.

Of course they look like crap. I have painted mine, designed and built a mount, and am still not happy about how it looks...

I wish some gauge maker would realize that a mileage monitor is a handy thing and make a nice looking one, say in a conventional gauge format.

Now that would sell like hotcakes.

No one seems to be listening though.

Probably because most upscale cars come with it in their information panels already.
Funny, the owners that care the least about gas mileage get the most help...
I got used to instant mileage readouts in my Grand Cherokees and Cadillac’s over the last ten years and really missed it in the F-150.
Chris

Old 12-29-2005, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Well, I love my ScanGauge. I never saw anyone say you 'needed' it. I may have missed those posts.

I heard about it in the 04-06 forums and bought one.

Of course they look like crap. I have painted mine, designed and built a mount, and am still not happy about how it looks...

I wish some gauge maker would realize that a mileage monitor is a handy thing and make a nice looking one, say in a conventional gauge format.

Now that would sell like hotcakes.

No one seems to be listening though.

Probably because most upscale cars come with it in their information panels already.
Funny, the owners that care the least about gas mileage get the most help...
I got used to instant mileage readouts in my Grand Cherokees and Cadillac’s over the last ten years and really missed it in the F-150.
Chris
I was talking about the acetone article referenced previously. It mentioned scangauge no less than 8 times. It is variously described as 'crucial' and an 'essential tool'.

Old 12-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by Clifford f150
I was talking about the acetone article referenced previously. It mentioned scangauge no less than 8 times. It is variously described as 'crucial' and an 'essential tool'.
Oh, missed that. Thanks for clearing it up.

Chris

Old 12-29-2005, 04:30 PM
Oh for God's sake, someone please use the forum search. This has been beaten so many times that it just does not bear repeating.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:50 PM
Ok so I admit my ignorance about the purity of gasoline. I must eat some humble pie there, I didn't know the standards. I am not a chemical engineer, I have two degrees in civil engineering. I shouldn't have strayed out of my discipline. At least my math skills are up to snuff.

Anyways I think the bottom line is this: Don't believe anything unless you can verify it yourself, or from someone who you can have absolute trust in that is an expert about the matter.

Most scams are done for 1 of 2 reasons. Somebody is trying to make a buck or they're trying to get back at someone/something or make someone/something look bad in order to get someone/something in trouble.

I'll just say this: just because someone says it will work doesn't make it so. Just becasue some says it won't work doesn't make it so either. There has to be some kind of proof.

I did a google search and there are alot of people who have had good results using acetone in their gas. I don't think 50 people on 10 different forums would conspire to lie about something. There are more people than that, but I got tired of reading.

I would just say don't knock it till you try it.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:54 PM
Right On

Old 12-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Look up there in the upper right corner 1999!!!! You think my vehicle is still under warranty???
Ever heard of an extended warranty? I have a 98, fully covered for another 8000 miles. (100000)

And when it comes right down to it, do whatever you want, its your truck and if it gets effed up, you're the one walking or renting. I'm just sharing my personal experiences from my 12 years working on automobiles, I'm not an engineer.

Old 12-29-2005, 10:23 PM
I probably shouldn't even drive it. If it leaves the driveway I could get into a wreck and total it. I could even die if the wreck was bad enough.

I have an open mind. 98Navi would you please explain why acetone in my gasoline will "eff up" my pickup? (I have a pickup or a pickup truck, not a truck. I have driven trucks they are alot different.) I don't want a third grade answer. I would like a real life experience or some hard data to back it up.

This isn't like the exhaust forum where it's all about your opinion of what kind of muffler sounds good. I would like to see some facts not someone's opinion.

Thanks

Old 12-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by: Jim Jones
Please, step over here and have a glass of KoolAid It will solve all of your ills, and improve your mileage
Trust me

Old 12-30-2005, 12:28 AM
If you want something from the third grade, try comprehension and the fact that if no one is answering, no one is using, and thats your answer

Old 12-30-2005, 02:13 AM
how do i make f150online stop sending me emails on this topic. i really don't want to read anymore from this one but i keep getting emails for the replies.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:58 AM
Sparky604 how do i make f150online stop sending me emails on this topic. i really don't want to read anymore from this one but i keep getting emails for the replies.
In the email notification you get scroll to the bottom and click on the link that says: "To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:". That will unsubscribe you.

I just did it. This thread is pointless. People won't seperate their opinions from fact(s).

Old 12-31-2005, 12:02 PM
Originally Posted by KDOTengineer
Uhhmm gasoline is the best chemical solvent ever. It dissolves everything. You may be correct, but I would not use that argument.

This website seems to be a very comprehensive study of using acetone as an additive in gasoline.

Here is an excerpt:

"In 1990, I took my 1964 Ford Econoline engine apart after it died in minus 80-degree windchill when the water pump froze. That engine had digested more acetone than any other of my vehicles before or since. After 567,000 miles, the engine had a whopping .004 to .007 wear on the cylinder walls. That does not sound like it suffered any piston or valve damage in 20 years of my prolific driving all over creation. In ten years of extensive driving with my Neon, some signs would have shown up by now but the thing just keeps running like a new car. Car after car after car would have shown something from the use of acetone. Wait, something did show up. The use of acetone greatly improves mileage AND engine life."

I think this statement on that website pretty much summed it up for me: "I hereby swear all stated above is true and factual." (at the very end)

WELL, if they SWEAR that it's all true and factual... [/sarcasm]

Thing is, acetone can have pretty detrimental effects on certain types of rubbers and plastics. The plastics and rubbers used in automotive engines were designed for use with gasoline, not acetone. The amounts they're talking about are like 0.3% concentrations (3-4 oz per 10gal [1280 oz]) so there's probably not much harm that will come from that very quickly, but I think over time there is a tangible risk.

I don't think I'm willing to take such a risk with my investment...

Quick Reply: Increase MPG