Increase MPG

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Increase MPG

Has anyone heard of using Acetone as an additive to increase fuel economy?

Old 12-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Not a bright idea

I would have to say, as it is that i work around chemicals like that, that it wouldn't be a good idea. Your fuel system is not designed to handle chemical solvents like acetone. (Much in the same way that non FFV engines and their fuel systems can not run E85). Stick with doing all your preventive maintenance and using good gas (not the cheap stuff) and you should keep your gas mileage up. Good Luck. :santa:

Old 12-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Use acetone long enough in the wrong quantity (like more than 0 is to much) and you'll be infor a fuel system nightmare

Old 12-26-2005, 07:58 PM
98Navi are you speaking from experience? I have a friend that is an engineer for Nissan and she said that most of the fuel system cleaners have an acetone base.

Old 12-26-2005, 11:21 PM
I know that some do, but most are getting away from actetone and alcohol due to the stress inflicted upon the system. I use a new system, by mighty auto parts, that has a chemical agent that freezes like NO2 and forces the carbon to pop off where its stuck to and burn through the system. Its badazz. I know people who do all kinds of strange stuff, this is just a bad idea as an additive

Old 12-27-2005, 09:01 PM
not sure why this is in other powertrain but...

Your fuel system is not designed to handle chemical solvents like acetone.
Uhhmm gasoline is the best chemical solvent ever. It dissolves everything. You may be correct, but I would not use that argument.

This website seems to be a very comprehensive study of using acetone as an additive in gasoline.

Here is an excerpt:

"In 1990, I took my 1964 Ford Econoline engine apart after it died in minus 80-degree windchill when the water pump froze. That engine had digested more acetone than any other of my vehicles before or since. After 567,000 miles, the engine had a whopping .004 to .007 wear on the cylinder walls. That does not sound like it suffered any piston or valve damage in 20 years of my prolific driving all over creation. In ten years of extensive driving with my Neon, some signs would have shown up by now but the thing just keeps running like a new car. Car after car after car would have shown something from the use of acetone. Wait, something did show up. The use of acetone greatly improves mileage AND engine life."

Old 12-28-2005, 12:02 AM
In some of the alternate fuel system cleaners I have seen used, a rate of introduction into the system to great that contains acetone and other solvents will cause the system to vapor lock, and you get a bent rod. I have seen the rods afterwards, and they literally bend over and eff the engine.

Just as stated, its not wise to add e85 to a non e85 system, and its not a good idea to add acetone to your fuel system. Its like rollin dice, you may go forever and never roll a 7, but someone else may roll 7 on the first shot

Old 12-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Yeah your probably right. I mean why would someone go to all the trouble of putting together a website and writing pages after pages of personal experience, detailed testing, and scientific explanation. Heck, couple that with the fact that this guy isn't even trying to make a buck.

That should be all the proof you need to expose this as a scam.

The fact is that this is where internet forums and threads break down because any idiot can say anything and no one has to be accountable to anything.

I severely doubt that putting 2 fl. oz. per 10 gallons of gas will do anything to damage the engine. Think about it, most newer F150 tanks are around 25 gallons. That's 5 fl. ounces in a 25 gallon tank of gas. Those little bitty cans of pop they sell now are 6fl. oz. I bet there is way more foreign fluid in a tank of gas than that.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:36 AM
Acetone may or may not have benefits as a fuel system cleaner, but I'd venture to say it'll have nothing to do with an increase in fuel economy. Keeping tires properly inflated, air and fuel filters, a light right foot and not carrying extra cargo around are things that are likely to help your fuel economy. If you want, add a bottle of fuel system cleaner every month (but that's a dollar cost which benefits can be debated). Unless the acetone is free, it's just another dollar factor (with questionable benefits) in the whole scheme of "fuel economy". Just my two cents.....

Old 12-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by KDOTengineer
Yeah your probably right. I mean why would someone go to all the trouble of putting together a website and writing pages after pages of personal experience, detailed testing, and scientific explanation. Heck, couple that with the fact that this guy isn't even trying to make a buck.

That should be all the proof you need to expose this as a scam.

The fact is that this is where internet forums and threads break down because any idiot can say anything and no one has to be accountable to anything.

I severely doubt that putting 2 fl. oz. per 10 gallons of gas will do anything to damage the engine. Think about it, most newer F150 tanks are around 25 gallons. That's 5 fl. ounces in a 25 gallon tank of gas. Those little bitty cans of pop they sell now are 6fl. oz. I bet there is way more foreign fluid in a tank of gas than that.
I can tell you one 'side effect' that I can guarantee. If you have a fuel system problem and they find any trace of acetone in your system, you will not be under warranty.

Says in the big print not to do that.

As to people taking the time to put false info on a webpage... Um, they do it all the time. Try any of the political websites, the movie websites, etc. etc.

There is more false information on web sites than there is accurate information.

There are websites with thousands of hours of work invested; devoted to proving Elvis is still alive; that the moon landings never happened that there is a lost city of Atlantis. Pick your myth. There are thousands of sites for each one.

I have owned/operated a gas station.

Gasoline from the pump is pretty 'pure'. The state would have something to say if there was a gallon of 'foreign fluid' in ten thousand gallons pumped.

Water and other impurities drop to the bottom of the holding tanks and pretty much stay there. But if the state finds you have ten gallons of water at the bottom of a ten thousand gallon tank they will shut you down.

You are suggesting that there would be 1 part in 80. That would work out to about 125 gallons of foreign fluids in a holding tank. Not a trivial amount.

On the recommendations of others;

When I sold parts I used to see guys put power steering fluid in their brakes. "All hydraulic fluid is the same", they would insist, while I was selling them every rubber part in the system...

They would put baking soda in their batteries. "Just one cell, it stops them from over charging".

Oil in the transmission fluid. “All oils are the same".

Reclaimed oil in late model cars "All oils are the same".

Never change the oil "oil never wears out".

These were all doing what true believers had instructed them to do.

Don’t even want to think about the thousands that go to jail every year because “there is nothing in the constitution that says you have to pay taxes”.
Over a thousand sites devoted to that little jewel…

Of course you should feel free to put acetone, ammonia, oil, cat urine or whatever in your tank.
But please, do not be mad at the people that suggest it is not always a good idea to ignore the builder, re builders, makers, mechanics, etc

Old 12-28-2005, 08:53 PM
WORD

Old 12-29-2005, 03:48 AM
i tried acetone in a '99 gmc safari i used to drive for work. i had a funnel and measuring cup and a big bottle of acetone and did go a little heavy on the mix but it was still not alot. the engine did seem to idle just a touch smoother but i was the only one that would have ever noticed it otherwise mileage and power were the same as without acetone. i did it for about 4 tanks of gas in a row and still only got 500km/tank in a 4.3 vortec engine.

Old 12-29-2005, 08:11 AM
I can tell you one 'side effect' that I can guarantee. If you have a fuel system problem and they find any trace of acetone in your system, you will not be under warranty.
Look up there in the upper right corner 1999!!!! You think my vehicle is still under warranty???

There is more false information on web sites than there is accurate information.
You just invalidated anything you said with that comment. I shouldn't believe anything on this website then.

You are suggesting that there would be 1 part in 80. That would work out to about 125 gallons of foreign fluids in a holding tank. Not a trivial amount.
Wrong. 2 fl. oz per 10 gallons of gas = 0.2 fl oz/gal*25 gallons/tank
=5 fl oz/tank

128 fl oz/gallon*25 gallons = 3200 fl oz. 5 fl oz/3200 fl oz = 1/640

That's 1 part per 640. That equals to 15.625 gallons per 10,000 gallons pumped. That's about 0.16%!!! You think gasoline is 99.84% pure? My friend nothing, I mean nothing is that pure unless you are dealing in a highly controlled environment!!!

As for the constitutionality of the income tax, we all know that was added to the constitution with the 16th amendment to the constitution. Furthermore, we all know that an amendment is the only process specified in the constitution whereby the constitution itself can be changed.

Yes I agree you have to change the oil, use transmission fluid in your tranny, brake fluid in your brakes, etc etc.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Look up there in the upper right corner 1999!!!! You think my vehicle is still under warranty???
Um, you are not the only person that reads these. Many of us still have warranty on their trucks. Also, if you put in a new fuel pump, injector, etc. you will have a warranty on that...

You just invalidated anything you said with that comment. I shouldn't believe anything on this website then.
Of course.
Most of us know to do the research ourselves, not just believe whatever is posted.

Wrong. 2 fl. oz per 10 gallons of gas = 0.2 fl oz/gal*25 gallons/tank
=5 fl oz/tank

128 fl oz/gallon*25 gallons = 3200 fl oz. 5 fl oz/3200 fl oz = 1/640
You are quite right.
I was at my server and transposed a number, no calculator on the server. I used one in 16 rather ounce to pound not ounce to gallon. Sorry, I am more comfortable with metric, and sometimes goof up in SAE or Imperial. Senior thing, I’m afraid.

That's 1 part per 640. That equals to 15.625 gallons per 10,000 gallons pumped. That's about 0.16%!!! You think gasoline is 99.84% pure? My friend nothing, I mean nothing is that pure unless you are dealing in a highly controlled environment!!!

As to the purity, sorry they test to one part in 1,000,000 on a daily basis.
Sounds like your engineering training is from the 70’s or so. The guidelines are far tighter nowadays. It was one in 150,000 when I sold the station in 84.
I know that I once got tagged for aproximatly three gallons of Jp4 in my regular tank. The moron who drove the truck forgot to flush the tanker after delivering jet fuel. Cost the driver a bunch, put me out of the regular business for 30 hours.

As for the constitutionality of the income tax, we all know that was added to the constitution with the 16th amendment to the constitution. Furthermore, we all know that an amendment is the only process specified in the constitution whereby the constitution itself can be changed.

My point has nothing to do with the amendments, income tax, etc. I was merely pointing out that that argument, which is specious, is used on many websites. Not suggesting it was right, just commonly used.

Yes I agree you have to change the oil, use transmission fluid in your tranny, brake fluid in your brakes, etc etc.
Again, you misunderstood my point. There are many people that DO mix these up, do use the wrong fluids, etc.
And they are true believers.
These are the kind of people that put up web sites on adding Acetone, etc. to their gas.

On all those arguments I was addressing your assertion that no one would post a web site or recommend anything if it wasn’t true…
These were examples, not a suggestion…

Old 12-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm always suspicious any time the author promises a 'revolutionary idea which "THEY" don't want you to know' but will dramatically improve things.

Also, how many times was it mentioned that you NEED a scangauge? Sounds almost like a paid endorsement (IE ad)

Quick Reply: Increase MPG