New Gears=Much Difference

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow New Gears=Much Difference

I was just wondering if I swapped gears what kind of change can I expect. I don't really know alot about the subject. I currently have the 3.73LS what would be the difference if I went to a 4.10 or higher. Would this put alot of extra stress on the tranny. What if you went lower, what would you expect in terms of performance gains. The truck is an '03 Screw with the 5.4. I'm looking to get more power and am looking for the best way to acomplish this. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Here's the deal. Going from 3.73 to 4.10 will give you more torque on takeoff and get you up to speed quicker. Your motor will also be at a higher RPM at that speed. (Hence, MPG goes down) With shorter gears, say 3.73 to 3.55, you'll not have as much speed gain, but the motor will turn lower RPMS any a given speed (hence, MPG goes up). Short gears such as 3.55 and down are good for all around driving and interstate. Tall gears 3.73 up, is good for towing and around town driving. Unless you put on larger diameter tires, or tow heavy loads, or just want to acclerate like a bat out hell, you don't need to change your gears. It will cause your tranny to run a bit hotter, but not much. That's because the tranny will shift more frequently.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by paulwhittom
I was just wondering if I swapped gears what kind of change can I expect. I don't really know alot about the subject. I currently have the 3.73LS what would be the difference if I went to a 4.10 or higher. Would this put alot of extra stress on the tranny. What if you went lower, what would you expect in terms of performance gains. The truck is an '03 Screw with the 5.4. I'm looking to get more power and am looking for the best way to acomplish this. Thanks for the help guys.

No matter what other ppl say, 410's are the ****!! GIve it a lil gas, and you'll feel the difference right away. Just remember to change the speedometer Gear that's on top of transmission too! otherwise you'll be going 60 and Speedometer saying 80!!
Performance:::::
COLD AIR KIT, AF1 INTAKE/ THORTTLE BODY SPACER/ MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR/SHAVED HEADS/UPGRADED INJECTORS AND FUEL PUMP/ PULLEYS/CERAMACOATED HEADERS/ NO CATALATYC CONVERTERS/ Y PIPE/ GIB DUAL EXHAUST/Chrome exhs tips/HURST STICK SHIFTER KIT/ JET STAGE III CHIP/ 410 GEAR RATIO/ POWERTRAC POSITRACTION UNIT/ ALUMINUM DRIVE SHAFT/ CENTERFORCE STAGE 1 CLUTCH & THROWOUT BEARING/ LIGHT WEIGHT FLYWHEEL/ 75SHOT OF NITROUS /... O YEAH! TURBONATOR AND ELEKTRIC TURBO. THAT'S ABOUT IT I THINK... OF COURSE THOSE 2 LAST ONES ARE MORE SHOW THAN ANYTHING...

Looks:: & sound
20'' on yokohoma tracks, Extang bed cover, clear corner lights, Remote control fog lights. Tail gate wing, Hood scoops, shaved off and bandowed F150 emblems, Limo tint. Bumper speed grill, Home made screen for main grill. 2 1800 watt fosagate punch amps. 2 12'' solobaric L7 subs. kenwood door speakers. etc etc.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=6980

Old 01-18-2006, 09:02 AM
Thumbs up

Thanks Guys that's great, I am really looking for the added acceleration and the extra towing power is a bonus. I might add a tranny temp gauge as well to look after the extra temp. I also have a Hypertech programmer that I can use to bring the speedo back inline. Thanks again guys this sounds like it might be worth it.

Quick Reply: New Gears=Much Difference