Front axle 89 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Front axle 89 F150 4x4

My Question is two part, concerning the u-j's on my front axle and a loose cap on the manual locking hub on the passenger side. Should I pull the axle to replace the u-j's or can it be done while in place? I realize there is not much room between the ball joints and mine have no snap rings on the caps and probably have nylon inserts holding them in.

I had the ball joints and rotor replaced on the passenger side about a year ago, I did the same on the drivers side 6 months before that but was too busy to do the other side myself. I recently noticed the cap was loose and tried to tighten it but the bots were already tight. I pulled the tire off yesterday and found that if I move the axle in and out the cap moves slightly. I am not sure if the shop I took it to got it back together correctly and have since moved across the country. I also no longer have a neighbor with a car lift and every tool imagineable nor can I remember what size socket removed the nut from the axle inside the hub (anyone know off hand?, I remember it was quite a deep socket).

I am disturbed that the cap is loose and concerned that the bearings, cups, seals and spacers may be improperly installed but not having the giant socket and not knowing which one to buy is keeping me from starting my project. Can anyone help? Any comments?

Quick Reply: Front axle 89 F150 4x4