hub/bearing problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hub/bearing problem?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or if it should go in the suspension forum, but here goes.

A couple of months ago I started noticing a "resistance" when driving my truck, kinda like driving with the parking brake partially on. I couldn't figure it out since there were no other problems. Then a couple of weeks later I started hearing a squealing noise and I figured I had a bearing going bad. I took my truck to my usual mechanic (who happens to be a good friend) and told him to check my rear axle bearings. He called me later and said that he thought it was in the front, but couldn't tell if it was left or right and that I should drive it a little more until it got worse and make diagnosis easier. Apparently you have to replace the whole hub assembly, so I would prefer to replace only the faulty one. Well, I drove it for a while longer and the noise went away but the "resistance" is still there. Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's not something with the hubs locking (the truck is a 2000 4x4 with the auto locking hubs). Any help y'all can offer is appreciated since I've got to get this taken care of before I use it to tow our camper.

Also, since I've been away from the forums for a while, what are some other things that I should look for that could be a problem for a 2000 model with 75,000 miles. I've done all of the regular required maintenance (tires, brakes, fuel filter, tranny service) I just need to know anything that might not be considered regular wear and tear since I'll be towing again soon.

Old 02-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are correct that the front wheel bearings require the purchase of a hub assembly. Here is a tip that may help you. Find an autoparts store that will match prices, then goto the ADVANCEAUTOPARTS.com site and print out the cheapest price wheel bearing you can find. I got mine for $150ish each.

I do not recall the 2000 having locking hubs. As I recall there is a vacum switch that actually engages the front axle. So, jack up the front end and WIGGLE (tech term) the front wheels. Look for up and down play in the wheel bearing with the tire on. You may also want to spin the wheel to determine if one wheel has more resistance than the other (although brakes could part of the problem). One of my wheel bearing was actualy bad @ 75000 and the other was not far behind, so i replaced both.

I also replaced all of my balljoints at the same time. Use the website above to get the lowest price on the upper control arm and ball joint (roughtly $40 each side). It made a tremendous improvement on my 02.

Good luck and 'SING OUT' if you need help.

Quick Reply: hub/bearing problem?