Terrible "Bang" during acceleration...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terrible "Bang" during acceleration...

Hello To All, my rig is in the shop at this very moment. I had a couple minor things reparied under warranty. While it was there I had them check out the "slip yoke" issue. I get a wicked "clunk/bang" under moderate to hard acceleration from about 25 mph. The "clunk/bang" is so bad that I feel the need the let off the gas to ease the bang from doing harm... I was just called from the dealership and was read a tsb that said it was normal for this to happen. I said you must be kidding me, of course he said no... Can any one give me the current TSB regarding this problem. I feel numb thinking that my 39k$ rig will have this issue to deal with... This is at the Drum Hill Ford dealer in MA... Any help regarding any TSB's will be greatly appreciated...

Last edited by 5.4SCREW; 02-28-2006 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:47 PM
nothing guys? I need some info to give the dealer, any thoughts...

Old 02-28-2006, 11:02 PM
I took mine to the dealership 2 weeks ago for routine service, told the service guy my truck makes a thump whenever I make a turn right or left and then accelerate. he said they greased the drive shaft spline and it should be okay. well after a couple days it starts doing it again and now from a dead stop I get a thump at acceleration. called him back and he said bring it back and he's going to order a new driveshaft. waiting for the part now. I have a 04 4x2 screw I heard they changed the driveshaft in the 05 model because they had so many problems with them. I don't know of a tsb but I would bring it back and talk to the service manager or take it to another dealership cause that's not normal.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 AM
For sure it's not normal, it's just not right... I pick her up today. We'll see what we can do... Why in the world would tsb# 05-10-12 say it's normal? I would hope they at least see if any type of wear or flaking metal on the spline shows up... That would at least show there is something. What till they hear the bang I get, it makes me gringe when it occurs...

Old 03-16-2006, 10:41 PM
having the same problem

if any one can figure out what this bang during accleration is , please let me know. I have a F-150 super crew 2005. Ive taken it to the dealer and they claim they cannot duplicate the "bang" I found this TSB online, im noit sure its applicable though...bulletin 052611

Old 03-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi All, I have been looking into this real deep. I have a appointment with the dealer next Monday. I have spoke with a couple people at differing dealers about this issue. It does appear that the drive line at the slip-yoke and the drive shaft spline "bind" during acceleration and or braking... The fix is to lube that area well. (In some cases the drive shaft has been replaced). Problem I hear is that the greasing does not last very long?... I looked at this area on the spline and yoke interface and see a very dry looking spline right by the boot on the yoke. How in the hell can the shaft area get dry? Is the grease leaking, where is it going? I understand that "marine teflon grease" is working? With the X-CAL2 "NOT" in use the clunks are there, just not as intense/loud as when the X-CAL2 is loaded... Is there a way perhaps a couple zork fittings can be put in use at this area to make re-greasing easier? Just a thought...

Old 03-19-2006, 11:13 PM
Same thump when I turn left or right...thump, thump...

Originally Posted by joenarb
I took mine to the dealership 2 weeks ago for routine service, told the service guy my truck makes a thump whenever I make a turn right or left and then accelerate. he said they greased the drive shaft spline and it should be okay. well after a couple days it starts doing it again and now from a dead stop I get a thump at acceleration. called him back and he said bring it back and he's going to order a new driveshaft. waiting for the part now. I have a 04 4x2 screw I heard they changed the driveshaft in the 05 model because they had so many problems with them. I don't know of a tsb but I would bring it back and talk to the service manager or take it to another dealership cause that's not normal.
I am very concerned......my mechanic "greased" the rear differential and said after 150 miles or so the sound and vibration would cease??? What is the true diagnosis.???

Trending Topics

Old 03-19-2006, 11:26 PM
sounds to me that if this thread is creating a list of potential owners who should band together and talk to ford as 1 group.If that does not solve the problem then I would suggest contacting a lawer and contact ford with a potential class action lawsuit.A faulty driveshaft can turn into a canapolt and kill everyone in the vehicle,and some others around it if it fails at highway speed.This is not like a bad valve guide seal or a gasket.It does have a potential to kill.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:05 AM
ready to do whats neccesary

If no one is able to find a reasonable solution to this problem I am willing to join others in notifying ford or a lawyer! Comment?

Old 03-26-2006, 01:08 AM
another possibility

joenarb,
I found out about bulletin 052611. Check it out see if you think its applicable to us

Old 03-30-2006, 08:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Ford is at it again

Originally Posted by banditone
If no one is able to find a reasonable solution to this problem I am willing to join others in notifying ford or a lawyer! Comment?
Guys, I'm having the same problem. I just traded a perfectly good, except for the winter rod knock, '98 F250 for a POS '05 F150 and I'm getting all of the classic issues too. The black paint on my fender badges peeled, the driveshaft slipyoke was lubed a couple of months ago and the clunk is back, when I make a left hand turn onto my street I notice a shudder that I first felt was the engine hitting on 7 cyl while I made the turn. Maybe it was the diff clutch packs and the light load of acceleration was putting pressure enough on them to make them bite more and not slip as they were supposed to.

This smacks of cover-up again like the old piston slap issue. Ford seems to think that many of these issues are normal sounds but for those of us having owned quality vehicles in the past, we know better. I for one will not take that for an answer as they new that this was an issue in '04 and did not make any attempt to inform me of these known issues before my purchase so when I bought it I would consider them normal and not to worry. Sorry, I just won't accept that behavior. Omission of information is deceptive practices with intend to defraud the customer of funds.

Sounds like lawsuit time and then buy a Toyota with the buy back money Ford gives me.

Bill Ford doesn't impress me in the least with the innovation ads he has made lately. If Ford was capable of innovation, they would use it to engineer and correct these issues before the product is released to the public.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Angry I agree

I think we should all get together and do something. I have A 2001 f150 supercrew and it does the same thing. It makes a banging noise going around turns and sometimes while driving straight-usually under light acceleration. So this is a problem since who knows when. I test drove A 2003 super crew with 50,000 miles and it does the same thing. Naturel wear and tear my butt. I even called ford motor company and they won't do anything to help. What really stinks is I have owned mine for 2 months now and it is disgusting. LET'S DO SOMETHING.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey All, I have an appointment at my local Ford dealer. I took the service manager for a ride. Yup, was what he said. It has been documented. He absolutely agree's it is the slip-yoke area causing the clunk. Very nice guy to work with. He has said to make and keep the appointment. As he will be personally going over my rig. At this point I feel like I will get help. I will update as this moves forward...

Quick Reply: Terrible "Bang" during acceleration...