Rear Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Vibration

2002 F150 Supercrew
33" Tires
I have noticed a vibration which appears to be coming from the rear end when i am pulling out. It only happens for a couple seconds then goes away when I build more speed. I originally thought it was an axel bearing on the drivers side, replaced it, and still have the same problem. I checked all of the universals and everything seems to be ok. Took it to a garage and they told me it was the transmission acting up because the computer wasn't reprogrammed for the bigger tires. I have since reprogrammed the computer to compensate for the oversize tires, but still have the vibration. Sounds like it is something mechanical to me, but if it's not the universals or bearings, then what could it be?
Any help or input would be appreciated.

I also just replaced the rear end oil when I changed the axle bearing.

Old 03-01-2006, 06:06 PM
Welcome!
vibration...when i am pulling out.
Straight line, into a turn, both?

I also just replaced the rear end oil when I changed the axle bearing.
Did you have the noise before this? Do you have a LS? What did you put back in it?

Old 03-02-2006, 06:46 AM

I changed the bearing and the oil because i thought the noise was coming from the bearing, so yes, i did have the noise before changing oil. I put whatever oil was on the tag on the rear end back in, plus the additive. yes i have ls, it does it when i pull out straight, turn to both sides, and even in reverse.

I have heard people say it is the transmission, clutches in the rear, not sure which it is if any. I have some slop where the driveshaft slides into the back of the transfer case, garage mechanic told me it was within the allowable tolerances.

Thanks for the reply

Old 03-02-2006, 01:00 PM
It doesn't sound like rear end LS clutches if it makes the noise taking off straight.
I have some slop where the driveshaft slides into the back of the transfer case, garage mechanic told me it was within the allowable tolerances.
Was the driveshaft removed so the yoke, bearing and lubrication could be examined?
Do you have a lift?

Old 03-02-2006, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by max mitchell
It doesn't sound like rear end LS clutches if it makes the noise taking off straight.

Was the driveshaft removed so the yoke, bearing and lubrication could be examined?
Do you have a lift?
I have no lift. I think my next move is to remove the driveshaft and inspect everything. I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:19 PM
Please do keep us posted as I am also chasing a vibration, new driveshaft, U joints, gears, axle, all checks out I know I need a tranny rebuild am hoping once I get a tranny the vibe will go if not I will have to look into the transfer case

Quick Reply: Rear Vibration