Automatic to manual 4WD lockout hubs

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Automatic to manual 4WD lockout hubs

I have a 1997 F150 XLT Supercab, 165K+, hubs are on their way out to the effect that 4WD will engage at the TCase, but won't lock the hubs... so I was looking at alternatives to the prices I'm seeing on replacement auto hubs... hence the manual lockout thought...

At present, WARN doesn't seem to have anything for any of our F-series after 1996, with or without a conversion kit. Anyone have any suggestions on this? I've seen other manufacturers that, when using a conversion kit, can accomodate the 1997... but I want something in there that not only looks good but isn't going to crap out on me three years from now.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Old 03-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your truck doesn't have hubs, just CV joints. If the front axle isn't powered, it is either the front diff isn't locking up for 1 of multiple reasons.
You might take a look at this thread.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ghlight=vacuum

Old 03-08-2006, 01:27 PM
Well that makes a ton more sense... sigh. I've got a ton of crap going on with that front end as it is (rubbing while I'm driving, but no signs of abnormal brake wear...), gotta redo my tierod ends with remans that actually HAVE grease fittings (did the pin-type injection solution I saw on here, and it was cool for a while, but I can feel them loosening up a little again)...

Heck, I'm actually looking for a beater car so I can put the truck up on stands for a couple weeks and just get it all done ya know?

Thanks for the info I'll be checking those vacuum lines tonight

Old 03-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't ignore the other possibilities. It could even just be mud on the top of the diff clogging up the vacuum motor. To test the vacuum lines/solenoids, you can reverse the vacuum lines and see if the front locks up when you switch to 2wd.

Old 03-08-2006, 03:11 PM
I will certainly try that as well this weekend... ran out to my truck at lunch and found the servo bank you were describing, so I can trace from there and check for clogs and such.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Automatic to manual 4WD lockout hubs