Rear LS parts to front diff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 05:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear LS parts to front diff?

Is it feasible and is it even a good idea to try to install the LS mechanism from the rear end of my '95 F150 into the front diff?

I plan on putting in a Powertrax or Detroit EZ gearless locker type unit in the rear so I was thinking "Could I possibly use the parts up front?"

Info which may be pertinent: 1995 F150 XL 4x4 manual trans, manual transfer case, manual locking hubs.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Not too familiar with the pre-97s, but isn't the front a reverse-cut 8.8?

-Joe

Old 03-09-2006, 06:33 PM
I think the pre 97s were dana 44s so a 44 l/s unit should work but the rear is a 8.8

Old 03-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Unless you plan to off-road your truck exclusively, it isn't feasible to put the limited slip carrier in your front differential. There isn't enough slip for the two front tires to rotate at different speeds during normal street driving. The best idea I have is to install a Torsen T-2 unit. These allow plenty of slip for normal driving and are torque sensitive. They lock when necessary and allow the wheel with the most traction to receive the most torque. They even make them for front wheel drive cars. The standard limited slip carrier will chatter around turns and you'll eat up clutches in no time flat. Hope this helps! Try www.torsen.com

Old 03-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by metallion
Unless you plan to off-road your truck exclusively, it isn't feasible to put the limited slip carrier in your front differential. There isn't enough slip for the two front tires to rotate at different speeds during normal street driving.
I read that I could put a full locker up there and I won't have street driving problems since I have manual hubs up front which disconnect the wheels from the differential completely.

Old 03-11-2006, 09:39 PM
With the manual hubs, you can put a full locker up front without affecting driveability. our newer (not to boast) trucks do not have that option.

As for switching the carriers, I am thinking no, although I cannot give you a specific reason why I say/think that.

i would think a Powertrax unit might be a good addition. although a full locker would be the ultimate.

Old 03-11-2006, 11:40 PM
Hey guys,

No you can not swap carriers frt to rear on your 95, the rear is a 8.8" and the frt is a dana44.

As to what type of frt diff, with locking hubs you can put whatever you want right up to a spool(very hard on parts).

Ford offered a limited slip frt diff as an option up to 96, I had one in my previous truck(94), it was great off road but driving on snowy roads led to some serious understeer.

You have many choices for your frt diff depending on how much you want to spend.

Later

Quick Reply: Rear LS parts to front diff?