limited slip or a locker for the front.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 11:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Klitch
i slapped Powertraxx lock right systems.
http://www.central4wd.com/inventoryd...;folder%7C5519
works great for toying around. they lock right up in the front and pull you around where you point like its a real locker, they DO make road noise and a bit of banging around when it ratchets and re-locks.

ALSO from personal experience with my 97 F150 8.8 / 8.8IFS: when you get the PTX unit for the 8.8 reverse, check to see if theres a clip, looks like a paper clip thickness square shaped spring clip. if it is not supplied i would call up the manufacturer and ask if they can send you one. at this point you will learn they have.. ahem.. "issues" regarding the 8.8 IFS unit, they swear up and down they dont make it (but youve got the damn box in your hand that says otherwise)
it may not be necessary for you, but it was for me. i had no clue how i was going to secure the shaft in place with the stock hardware c'clip because it just plain didnt clear anything internally.

just my personal experience with this setup. still a good cheap alternative
What kind of 97 do you have with a 8.8 rear axle?

For a mostly street truck, non selectable lockers in the front are a bad idea. Having both axles locked together all the time will severly affect your ability to turn the truck while moving. A selectable locker(ARB, Eaton E-Locker) will let you choose when you want the front differential locked and when you dont. The ARB is a good unit, but there is always the possiblity that the compressor will go out and you are left without a front locker. The Eaton is fully electrical, making it more prone to wiring failure when used in harsh conditions. If I were you, I would do a limited slip in the front. Very few people need a fully locked diff in the front, LS usualy does the job just fine.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

most current pic of my truck. 97 f150 lariat. its a street baby that goes off the road a bit. oh and that pics after i got stuck in some sandy / muddy area that was under water fully about 6 hours before i had the wise idea of trying to play in it.

Quick Reply: limited slip or a locker for the front.