What rear axle is in the '06 Mark LT/150??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What rear axle is in the '06 Mark LT/150??

Is the rear axle in the '06 Mark LT/150 a Sterling 10.5 as in the SRW Superduty? I own a precision CNC manufacturing facility and want to machine a custom, ribbed, aluminum billet cover and was curious as to what rear these trucks have. Thanks in advance for taking YOUR time to post.

Old 04-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rear axle is a Ford 9.75 with 3.73 gears a limited slip differential is optional. You can use these differential cover dimensions for the 9.75 as a starting point courtesy of the YourCovers website below, good luck!

http://www.yourcovers.com/images/9594webdim.jpg

Last edited by rkjerue; 04-11-2006 at 05:00 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:03 PM
Hey Drewg,

When you finish one, post up some pics. I may be interested in having one made as well, and pay ya for it- but make it cool lookin!

Old 04-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Thanks guys for the info.!! I plan on machining a billet cover real soon. It will be real cool. Not cheap though, as the billet 6061 aluminum will probably cost about $200.00 or more. I will allow for extra oil capacity, drain plug, oringed so I can lose the gasket, and maybe a sightglass and or a temperature sensor. I like the "ribbed" looked, but not on the cast covers. I'll post some pic's for you to see. If anyone has any requests or ideas as to what might make the cover look even better, please give me some idea's. If I use it, I will make you a cover for FREE !!! Please offer me some opinions or even a simple drawing, sketch, or a similar cover you've seen either made by another company, or for another axle. Thanks!!!

Old 04-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Hi Drewg,

I'm not all that great in "designing" new stuff, however I do like the Mag HyTec 9.75 Differential Cover. With this one in mind, I'd like to see one made in the Billet Aluminum with the colors reversed- the black on the ribs only. Might be a good start in the design process.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Oh... And maybe instead of a "window" how about a Magnetic drain plug and anodized aluminum dipstick with magnetic insert?

Old 04-15-2006, 04:19 AM
FYRCOM, You've got some great suggestions!!! I like the dipstick idea and the magnetic drain plug. Do you think having a dipstick could be detrimental or fragile? Please keep the ideas comming. I plan on machining a cover very shortly, and I will keep my promise of machining a second for free to anyone who's ideas I use. I believe it will be one awesome cover. Might not be affordable compared to others on the market, but I always go overkill. Right now we're milling custom billet valve covers for a customer from solid 6061 15 x 5 x 2.5 aluminum. about 10lbs going in,and less than 1 lb comming out. They look pretty damm good. I'll add some pic's to my website in a few days. Please let me know of any good and or bad things you've found about any covers--stock or aftermarket. Here's a link to my business:

www.proformancemachineworks.com

It's under construction right now, however you can view some high speed machining videos and see some of the parts we've machined.

Last edited by drewg350; 04-16-2006 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:02 AM
Hi Drewg,

Those are some really nice looking parts they have produced. Nice machinery too. I’m sure they can make a great looking diff cover as well.

Since I’m not all that knowledgeable in the types of aluminum, can you tell me the difference between 6061 aluminum and A356-T6 aluminum as to heat dispensation and durability? Which is tougher when it comes to the hard-knocks of life?

As for the magnetic dipstick, I would find this a major convenience when checking the fluid level instead of a plug you dip into anyway. The magnetic end also helps in keeping the fluid clean as it washes around- same with the magnetic drain plug. Here are some minor details about Mag’s dipstick and how/why it is built:

“The dipstick is knurled for quick removal, the flat is marked low/high to check lube level and a magnet, which acts as an open filter is in the lower end. The MS 7/8 - 14 THD port is large enough to use for filling.”

Here’s an inside look to the Mag-Hytec dipstick. I am not sure if it is “patented” or not, but might be worth looking into so you don’t have any patent infringement accusations.

Also, make the cover large enough to almost double the capacity of fluid volume. Don’t know if that would increase cost significantly or not except for the added fluid cost.

As for the shape, the main reason why I like Mag-Hytec is the “square” type shape compared to others that make a smooth round shape. Just personal choice though.

Also, the Mag is $240.00. That will give you an idea on price fixing the product.

I would actually buy a Mag-Tek accept I don’t really care for the black powder-coat and the high price. However, their product is made quite well. It’d be nice to see another product with the same capabilities that looks even better, and hopefully cost a little less as well.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:29 AM
On word about the Mag-Hytec stuff.....FANTASTICK! I just installed the rear cover this weekend and I have had the trans pan on for about a year. Both are quality parts and a breeze to install.

02 F150 Super Crew Lariat FX4 White & Silver
5.4 /w Roush Cold Air Intake & K&N filter
3.55 LS
Flowmaster Cat Back
JBA Silver Cat4ward Headers
Rancho RSX's
Rancho Steering Stablizer
Hellwig Rear Anti Sway Bar
Lightning Tails
Outland Sport Bumper Guard
Hella 550's
Silverstars
Superchips 9100 Micro Tuner c/o Troyer Performance
Underdrive Pullies c/o Troyer Performance
Mag-Hytec Trans Pan & Rear Cover

Old 04-17-2006, 10:36 AM
hey there.. i would think that a sweet looking factory symbol etched in to it would make it stand out nicely.. also the magnetic plug is a must i would make the fill plug a little bigger so that filling her up would be cake! let us kno how it turns out.. i guess im out on the free one tho i got the 8.8 ha oh well but i hope urs looks sweet... pics!

Old 04-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Thanks guys!!! All good idea's and suggestions. I will incorporate the magnetic dipstick, at least double the oil capacity, use a large drain plug, and get rid of the gasket (if used) in favor of a heavy o'ring. I like the idea of incorporating the Ford or 150 Logo. That would be a real nice touch. A bit more machining as opposed to being flat, but worth it.
As for material and grades of aluminum: 6061 T6 is probably the most common grade of aluminum used today for "billet" products. It is very strong, has very good corrosion resistance, can be welded, and comes in several different tempers depending upon what the use is. A356-T6 is used in castings. Generally speaking castings are pourous and thus not as strong as a "billet" product. Aircraft grade 7075 T6, 7050, and most other 7 series aluminum alloys are exceptionally strong. Stronger than common steels such as 1018 class. They usually don't offer the corrosion resistance of 6 series, and cost approx. 4-10 times as much per lb. due to their strength characteristics. Engineers looking to save weight will choose 7 series aluminum vs 6 series because they can design a product that is lighter and stronger. 7075 is too costly to make a billet front/rear diff. cover, so I plan on using 6061T6. I will keep all informed when I'm about to make one. I'm swamped currently, so I will have to wait a little bit till I can get started.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:18 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drewg350
Thanks guys!!! All good idea's and suggestions. I will incorporate the magnetic dipstick, at least double the oil capacity, use a large drain plug, and get rid of the gasket (if used) in favor of a heavy o'ring. I like the idea of incorporating the Ford or 150 Logo. That would be a real nice touch. A bit more machining as opposed to being flat, but worth it.
As for material and grades of aluminum: 6061 T6 is probably the most common grade of aluminum used today for "billet" products. It is very strong, has very good corrosion resistance, can be welded, and comes in several different tempers depending upon what the use is. A356-T6 is used in castings. Generally speaking castings are pourous and thus not as strong as a "billet" product. Aircraft grade 7075 T6, 7050, and most other 7 series aluminum alloys are exceptionally strong. Stronger than common steels such as 1018 class. They usually don't offer the corrosion resistance of 6 series, and cost approx. 4-10 times as much per lb. due to their strength characteristics. Engineers looking to save weight will choose 7 series aluminum vs 6 series because they can design a product that is lighter and stronger. 7075 is too costly to make a billet front/rear diff. cover, so I plan on using 6061T6. I will keep all informed when I'm about to make one. I'm swamped currently, so I will have to wait a little bit till I can get started.
Keep in mind that the F-150 logo and the Ford logos are all copywrighted. If you're making them for personal use, you're fine, but the minute you start selling them to others and turning a profit, you're violating copyright and trademark laws. Ford doesn't like that and, believe it or not, will send a cease and desist letter pretty quickly.

-Joe

Old 04-23-2006, 02:45 AM
Joe, I was just planning on making a couple. I don't plan on selling these. My business manufactures alot of sport bike products for Suzuki's, Kawasaki's, Honda's and Yamaha's and know all about royalties. We have to pay them anytime we use any of their trademark names. It's only fair. I wouldn't want anyone stealing my name of trademark if I had one.

Quick Reply: What rear axle is in the '06 Mark LT/150??