truck does not shut off!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck does not shut off!!

hey whats up everyone im posting for my dad whos not very internet friendly..the truck is a 96 f150 the problem is yesterday when he went to turn off the truck and take the key it stayed running ,he pulled the battery cables still runnin cause of the alternator and eventually pulled the coil wire and the truck shut off,so he thought it was a ignition cylinder and went and bought one..i figured out how to change it out and the problem still exists.I noticed when i turn the key back (on the new cylinder) it feels like nothing is there between the run and off position..very hard to explain just no type of resistance between the two.anyways from lookin at it i dont know if theres a way to get inside of the actually steering colum to fix it..any advice??

Old 04-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Suspended
pulling the coil on a running engine can zap you into never never land. Might be the colume shift leaver ( if automatic ) I think thier a safety switch to stop you from starting the truck when it's in gear.

Old 04-23-2006, 07:50 PM
it is a automatic and we were very careful when pullin the coil.

Old 04-23-2006, 08:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There's an actuator in the steering column that commonly breaks. It connects the ignition lock cylinder to the ignition switch at the base of the column itself. The actuators (there's two of 'em) are held together with a little rinky dink steel pin that sheers off and lets the cylinder spin around in the housing. The steering column has to be disassembled to access the actuators for replacement; there's some stuff in there that's under some serious spring pressure. It's a job that's difficult to explain, so it might be best left to your dealer or a shop in the know.

Quick Reply: truck does not shut off!!