New driveshaft, vibrations gone...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 02:03 PM
WLF
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New driveshaft, vibrations gone...

I posted this in the supercdharger section and figured I should put it here as well.
In the past I had a vibration problem that I figured was from my driveshaft.

I just had a driveshaft made for my truck. The original was 77 inches long measured from u-joint to u-joint (center) and 4 ½ diameter. I had over two inches play between the driveshaft and the rear flange when unbolted. At the slip yoke, the shaft just was not tight when installed. I could grab the slip yoke and get some up and down movement. I replaced both the tail shaft housing of the transmission (new bushing/factory tech lubricated) and the slip yoke with a new one from Ford. I still had a loose slip yoke. If I slid it in 1 inch it tightened right up.
I had the new driveshaft made to 78 inches u-joint to u-joint (center) and the guy calculated the needed diameter and recommended a 5 inch driveshaft which is what I purchased. He said the Critical Speed of the 4 ½ inch shaft was right on the edge with my 410 gears.
The driveshaft he sent me is a monster. He used Alcoa 6061-t6 aluminum seamless tubing. The driveshaft was high speed balanced and is a lot smoother now at speed. Although larger in diameter then the original Ford it is actually lighter.
The total on the driveshaft was only $300 delivered. You can contact the guy at this e-mail address if you are interested.

Elks1945@aol.com

I’ll post pictures soon of the side by side comparison to the original.
Have fun.

Old 05-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=WLF]I posted this in the supercdharger section and figured I should put it here as well.
In the past I had a vibration problem that I figured was from my driveshaft.

I am too struggling from a vibration issue that got worse when my 4:10's were installed, can you explain your vibration more? I get mine starting around 65 and will get a little better around 75 and is really noticeable when you decelerate. It almost feels like a bad U joint but that is not the case. I also notice it got a little better when I put my 33's on it was worse with my stock 245's I am assuming due to increased RPM

Quick Reply: New driveshaft, vibrations gone...