2001 starter problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 starter problems

i didn't know where to put this, but i am having problems with my starter, i think. Sometimes when i go to crank it up, it sounds like a gear is slipping inside the starter or something, i don't know much about it but thats just what it sounds like to me, i took it to the shop and they told me that it was the fuel filter and slow me assumed that they wouldn't jerk me around and let them replace it and it still does it. Has anyone had this problem and if so, did you have to replace the starter or what?

thanks

Old 06-10-2006, 10:55 PM
i really need some help with this one guys...

Old 06-11-2006, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by weswhall
i really need some help with this one guys...
Well, I would like some more info if you could...... How many miles? Exactly when, how, under what conditions, does your truck do this. Is this your original starter? If your truck is making a loud IRRRRRRRRKKK!!! sometimes when you turn the key, then the starter probably needs replacing. That particular symptom is usually the result of the starter not engaging the flywheel completely.. This can be caused by a lot of things, but your best option is probably to replace the starter. If that doesn't fix it, then it could be your ring gear on your engine's flywheel. If that's the case, then you'll probably have to get a dealer to fix that.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:17 AM
just about to flip 100k, as far as i know it is the original starter, i bought the truck with 60k and haven't replaced it, the conditions that it happened in are completely random, and it does make a loud IRRRRRK noise as you put it, and assuming that it is the starter, what would one of those run me, plus the labor and all, thanks dude

Old 06-14-2006, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by weswhall
just about to flip 100k, as far as i know it is the original starter, i bought the truck with 60k and haven't replaced it, the conditions that it happened in are completely random, and it does make a loud IRRRRRK noise as you put it, and assuming that it is the starter, what would one of those run me, plus the labor and all, thanks dude
I don't remember how much my starter cost.... But it was under $200. You can install it yourself. It isn't that hard, you just need a ratchet, some metric sockets, and some assorted sizes of extensions.

Quick Reply: 2001 starter problems