Lifted 04 F-150 4wd Engages/Disengages

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lifted 04 F-150 4wd Engages/Disengages

I believe it has to do with my tcase because the 4wd will engage and disengage while I'm locked in. What happens is this, I turn the dash to 4wd, it shows the 4wd indicator light as locked in and it locks in, the front driveshaft turns but moving 5-10 feet forward will unlock the driveshaft, it no longer spins but the dash shows it as still locked in. It then re-engages very violently a few more feet later (violently because I'm usually turning a few rpms). What are some possible solutions.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Integrated Wheel Ends failing to engage or stay engaged. Vacuum disengages them, so it's possible that the vacuum solenoid on the passenger side firewall is failing to seal-off the vacuum from the lines.

Quick and simple check: Disconnect the vacuum line from the solenoid, and engage 4wd. If it stays locked-in, replace the solenoid. If it still disengages, you've got an IWE failing to lock.

-Joe

Old 06-07-2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
Integrated Wheel Ends failing to engage or stay engaged. Vacuum disengages them, so it's possible that the vacuum solenoid on the passenger side firewall is failing to seal-off the vacuum from the lines.

Quick and simple check: Disconnect the vacuum line from the solenoid, and engage 4wd. If it stays locked-in, replace the solenoid. If it still disengages, you've got an IWE failing to lock.

-Joe
I don't think it has to do with the IWE's because the driveshaft is what is not spinning. The halfshafts I'm pretty sure stay locked in, it's the front driveshaft that is not spinning.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oops... I mis-read your original post... My bad....

If the front driveshaft fails to turn, it could be an issue with the shifter motor being out of position (the encoder on the shift motor telling the GEM that it's in position for 4high when it's not) or it could be a transfer case issue. Does it also do it in 4 low?

-Joe

Old 06-07-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
Oops... I mis-read your original post... My bad....

If the front driveshaft fails to turn, it could be an issue with the shifter motor being out of position (the encoder on the shift motor telling the GEM that it's in position for 4high when it's not) or it could be a transfer case issue. Does it also do it in 4 low?

-Joe
Yes. I'm near certain it's a tcase issue, I'm struggling to pay someone to check it out.

Quick Reply: Lifted 04 F-150 4wd Engages/Disengages