Ah crap!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ah crap!

Yeah that is right, ah crap! Well, I was looking at the front brakes and lo and behold I find the wheel side CV boot (outer cv boot?) is bad. My question is how long can I drive with it this way? I know the longer I go the more dirt, water (I live in Oregon), and other debris will get in there and cause more damage. Money wise, is it better to replace the whole axle rather than to just replace the boot? Also, I do not know ho long it has been this way. I bought the truck a couple of years ago this month. Also, when I bought the truck there was a dealership decal on it that was from the beach.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor Alf
Yeah that is right, ah crap! Well, I was looking at the front brakes and lo and behold I find the wheel side CV boot (outer cv boot?) is bad. My question is how long can I drive with it this way? I know the longer I go the more dirt, water (I live in Oregon), and other debris will get in there and cause more damage. Money wise, is it better to replace the whole axle rather than to just replace the boot? Also, I do not know ho long it has been this way. I bought the truck a couple of years ago this month. Also, when I bought the truck there was a dealership decal on it that was from the beach.
Just replace the whole assembly. For $70 from AutoZone, you'll get one with a lifetime warranty. To replace the boot, there's no guarantee that the joint won't take a dive next week, and to replace the outer boot, you must completely disassemble the INNER joint.

It's just not worth the effort IMO.

-Joe

Old 07-04-2006, 10:04 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I agree with Joe. I had the same thing happen to mine. I replaced just the boot. I took the shaft off and had to disassemble the inner joint to be able to slip off the outer boot. What a PITA. You still have to clean the outer joint and relube it. It doesn't come apart so you have no way of knowing if it is truely clean. It is not worth the effort. Get a new ½ shaft.

JMC

Quick Reply: Ah crap!