Let's see you Home-Made Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 04:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My own ram air hood. Mustang scoop and a little DIY duct work. Came from a 90s lumina and an 86 T-bird.

Sled...

Old 07-21-2006, 10:09 AM
My own ram air hood. Mustang scoop and a little DIY duct work. Came from a 90s lumina and an 86 T-bird.
That looks great! Any additional info you have (particularly what parts you used and how you performed the mods) would be greatly appreciated. I have an aftermarket fiberglass hood that I've been thinking about turning to ram air. I know, I know. There's a very long thread going right now about how you shouldn't turn your intake to true ram air, but I think it would be interesting to try. Also, do you have any problems with your CEL coming on or anything else associated to your ram air scoop?

Looks pretty sweet!!

Old 07-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Hey DIY.

Guess I havent read that thread, but I havent had any troubles or codes with my ram air. It does ingest a little more litter, dirt, leaves, bugs, stuff like that so I clean the K&N more often. Also, I can not run it in winter as snow will make its way to the filter. I have tried everything and it will still freeze up.
As for rain, the way mine is, rain is heavy enough it will not make it directly to the filter. I have driven in some really heavy storms with nary a problem. I also have a couple small drain holes to let water out of the system.

As for making it. After I mounted the scoop and before I cut the hood, I determined the size hole I could cut in the hood. I went to a junk yard and popped hoods to see what I could find to come up with what I had pictured in the ol nogin. I ended up modding the top of a Lumina air box to act as the box that seals to the hood. It is mounted to the top of the engine by a bracket I made and has a 3/4 foam seal on top to seal to the hood. Bought the foam at Lowe's.
For the tube, my son killed a the T bird and I was just getting read to sell it for scrap, robbed the intake tube from that. It is almost three inches in dia.
It had just the right preformed bends I needed.
I cut a hole in the stock box of the truck and plugged off the stock opening so all air passes thru the scoop.
Like I said, I have had no problems. I have put at least 40-50 K miles on it since its been in use. I usually run it April to Nov, then I use another air filter cover that has three 3 inch holes cut in it to let in more air.

As for how it works, I can notice a difference at speeds above 30 mph. Someone else built one from my design and said the same.
It does make a pretty cool sound when nailing the go pedal.
All and all I have been happy with it and the looks and comments I get are cool too.

I have some pics in my gallery of the work, I think some have been deleted. Any other questions just ask. Hope that helped.

Sled...

Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 PM
Anybody else have some of their own handiwork they want to show off?

Old 08-08-2006, 09:28 PM
Does this count?

For those who werent around at the time this was(is) the only billtet F150 shifter out there, 100% made by me.

History can be found here
http://204.127.198.24/~broken003/
and here
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=144946

Old 08-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Wow, I'm impressed. Are you a machinist or did you sub the work out? Looks awesome. If I had one of those trucks, I'd buy one! Yeah, that definitely counts!--DIY

Old 08-09-2006, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Wow, I'm impressed. Are you a machinist or did you sub the work out? Looks awesome. If I had one of those trucks, I'd buy one! Yeah, that definitely counts!--DIY
I'm a self taught home shop machinst. Made every part myself.

And just avoid confusion these shifters aren't for sale (never were). If you want to know why read the website it explains everything.

Old 08-09-2006, 01:19 PM
I made an adapter for my mas. The AEM did not have one for my truck due to a different style of sensor.

A few more pics in the gallery.

Quick Reply: Let's see you Home-Made Mods