Let's see you Home-Made Mods

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Let's see you Home-Made Mods

Ok guys, here's your chance to show off you handiwork. I want to see your home-made mods. I'm looking for well-built DIY projects that you have completed yourself using your ingenuity, and without buying bolt-on products. Anybody with basic mechanical knowledge can bolt on aftermarket parts, but I'm looking for your finest craftsmanship in making your own accessories. The more pic's the better!

Old 07-18-2006, 12:10 AM
Not the greatest pics, but I designed and built my own sub box for two 12"s, and also built the 3" seat lift out of C channel aluminum.

I still need to fix that vinyl...
And there's the ever popular acetone.

Old 07-18-2006, 12:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive been toying with the idea of some rear suspension stuff. Home-made traction bars, panhard bar, anti-roll bar. Crawled under the truck a few times and drew some stuff up.

Also a tube type rear bumber, that goes over the stock bumper.

Havent pulled out the welder and started on anything yet though.

Im curious to see what some people have done...

Old 07-18-2006, 06:45 AM
Zaairman-- Sub box and seat risers look good. Just curious what you did for the center seat support bracket. Looks as good as those $200 kits they sell to do the same. Also how do you like your sub box? Are you satisfied with the sound from that location?

Bartak1-- Yeah, seems like it shouldn't be that hard to build your own traction and panhard bars. Anti roll bar would be a little more difficult though. I've often thought about building my own brush guard, something like the Westin Ultimate Bull Bar. I'd be curious to see if anybody else has done their own suspension mods or built their own front end accessories.

Looks like our list is off to a good start! Keep those pictures coming.--DIY

Old 07-18-2006, 01:05 PM
DIY - I'm very happy with the sound. And as for the middle support, I just got rid of it. It doesn't seem to affect the seat at all with it being gone.

Old 07-18-2006, 01:49 PM

that & sub box, component speaker mounting plates,

Old 07-18-2006, 06:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Socal, how do the mounts attach to your axle tube? Welded?

I though about using the factory U bolt I have laying around here, but I wonder if they would just rotate around on the axle tube. I dont know if it would be possible to get them tight enough that they wouldnt turn or not.

Ive been thinking up something like traction bars, but with a bar conecting each side, so you would have an H shapped thing. This way you have traction bars, and possibly something to help with body roll, Im just not sure how well it would work. The cross-over piece would kind of act like a torsion bar.

Or something else I just though up, would be to run an actual torsion bar from the center of the rear end, to a bracket that drops down from the frame, right around the spare tire area. I suppose it would have to be one stiff torsion bar, and would have to be able to come off for off-roading.

Hmmmm, I have to much time on my hands....

Trending Topics

Old 07-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned for Use of Multiple Usernames
Homemade ram air kit. Hooks into stock intake box. Made a bigger performance increase than the AFE system I had. Sorry, no pics yet.

Old 07-20-2006, 03:01 AM
bartak,

i would not cross them like an H

they are welded to the axle tube and bolted to the frame

Old 07-20-2006, 03:27 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
Does this count? LOL

More pics in my signature.
-Patrick

Old 07-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Old 07-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Schweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Old 07-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by Jordan not Mike

Thats classic.

Old 07-20-2006, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
Does this count? LOL
I was just wondering, why do you have them firing down? I was following your other thread awhile ago about mounting your seats, and I thought you were going to have them firing up. How does it sound firing down? Just curious. It looks awesome though.

Brian

Old 07-21-2006, 03:41 AM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 136 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by PureCracker182
I was just wondering, why do you have them firing down? I was following your other thread awhile ago about mounting your seats, and I thought you were going to have them firing up. How does it sound firing down? Just curious. It looks awesome though.

Brian
They hit pretty good, i really wish i had better then single voil coil, mediocere infinity subs, but they do the job and sound pretty good. I installed two layers of a neoprene sound deadener so the sound is dispersed into the cab, and stays in the cab especially with the windows up.

If you notice, the subs arent firing right on the ground, so that helps them out alot i think. the back maybe three inches of the rear sub surround touches the floor, but 75% of the cone is still hitting free space, and the cone doesnt actually touch the carpet all the way in the back, just the hard plastic surround.

Oh and it looks so much nicer to me IMO to not have them looking up at you, and unless you heard me pulling up, you wouldnt necissarily be able to see the box. (tinted windows) plus because i do have people sit back there, dont have to worry about someone poking a hole in a cone, or spilling something.

Also makes for a decent place to sit short ride trip if i have to put more then two people back there.
-Patrick

Quick Reply: Let's see you Home-Made Mods