whats the O-Ring for?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whats the O-Ring for?

In the groove on my axle where the C-clip goes that keep the axel from linear movement in the axle housing. I am ready to put her back together, and just noticed that...I am hoping it is just to put a little pressure on the clip to keep it in place while I reassemble....I am hoping it is not some form of oil seal....
it is about the same dia as the od of that under cut in the axle.

I posted this in transmission hoping for some more exposure...because the truck is apart in the drive way and I only have this one vehicle!!!!

thanks

bob

Old 07-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Hey Bob,

The o-ring is used to keep the axle retainer (C-clip) on the axle shaft. It easier than tring to hold them on.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:31 PM
i just put a new axle in mine and the o-ring broke on the original so i just dabbed some grease on the c-clip to hold it in place for re-assembly

Old 07-30-2006, 11:47 PM
you know I put my axle back in and I could fit the C-clip in....it seemed to fall out pretty easily when I took the axle out...so I didn't like the fact it didnt go back in very easy. I even clamped the axle into the brake caliper frame to make sure it STAYED all the way in while I crawled under the rear end...and i STILL had to tap the C-clip in with a punch and hammer....not much , but It would not go by hand!

I wonder if there was an orientation that would have been easier...

I have no idea why they put the refil hole UNDER the lip of casting on that rear housing!!!!

they could have put it in the rear differential cover and make life easy!

I did the brakes front and rear... the emergency brakes as well.. the rear differential fluid and an axle seal, and the transmission fluid and filter in the last 2 weekends....not that much work and it feels good to be on the finnished end of that maintenance!!!!

now the front dofferential and tranfer case......is that as important as the others in real life?

do they put synthetic in the front diff as well?

I dont know..knock on wood...108K miles on my 02 SC FX4 long bed with 5.4....
pretty trouble free truck....
One COP under warranty.....the tail gates locks by itself, but havent taken it in yet for repair.

I may need tires before the start of winter.....go 55K out of the factory treads and the Coopers look like they would give up a little more, but i dont want to drive in the winter with thin legal tread...

I love this truck

only 13 MPG though

pretty good truck Id say!!

bob

Quick Reply: whats the O-Ring for?