Cracked Driveshaft Knuckle

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Driveshaft Knuckle

Hey guys - originally posted this under the transmission folder but thought this might get a better response here, so sorry for the double post. I've been hearing a clicking sound the past few days when taking off from a stop and finally got a chance to dig in tonight. I thought possibly I had lost some fluid and it was the sound of my transmission, but fluid level checked good. I crawled around underneath and somehow happened across what must be causing the noise. It seems that my rear drive shaft has cracked at the knuckle just forward of my differential. The crack is at the attach point, and part of the attach is missing, so basically instead of the knuckle locking onto the differential at two points, mine is only locking at 1 1/2. The noise I've been hearing appears to be the bushing/sleeve around the lug moving around and it looks to be coming apart as well. Obviously I won't be pulling anything until I get it fixed and will definitely be trying to get it fixed ASAP. The question is - how bad am I looking? Can I disconnect both ends and get it out and a new one back in without dropping my rear end and what's the best source for a new shaft? I thing a repair is completely out of the question - I pull about 4000lb boat and the occasional grain wagon, etc, so it does get used and I have no desire to risk a weld job. Any input is appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 08-22-2006, 07:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a $15 u joint replacement. It should take about 15 minutes for a mechanic to replace, if he takes a smoke break half way through the work... Make sure you Git-R-Done though, because it will break, and that aint fun.

Old 08-22-2006, 09:18 AM
I wish it was that easy but I think my u-joint itself is OK, it's the knuckle (the yoke) at the end of my driveshaft that is cracked. Sorry I didn't explain it better but thanks for the response.

Old 08-22-2006, 10:05 AM
Just the yoke can be changed, but I would replace universal also. I wouldn't drive it at all. If the driveshaft get bent it will be expensive.

Quick Reply: Cracked Driveshaft Knuckle