Starter Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Replacement?

Hi Everyone!
New member here with first post. Unfortuneatly it is due to some crappy circumstances. (But before I divulge into my current truck problems, let me say that this site and those knowledgeable members willing to post their ideas and solutions has saved me thousands of dollars and many a headache too, THANKS!)
Current Problem: Over the last several months I've noticed alot of play developing in the gear shift of my 98 F150 5.4L xlt 4x4. The line misses the letters of the gear its being put into. And now when I try to start the truck, occasionally it won't and it makes a terrible loud grinding noise. I can often reposition the gearshift and it starts fine. Once a friend had me move the truck forward while in drive a few meter and again it would start. Any advice on how to fix this problem would be appreciated.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck (I recently purchased used) had not had proper starter engagement (grinding noise you speak of) twice since I have owned it. but both times I simply tried to start it again and was perfect. I have seen damaged flywheel teeth do that in other vehicles have similar starter engagement issues but typically the damaged spot causes issues until engine rotates slightly. I expect my issue is the starter motor Bendix not throwing the gear forward enough since the 2nd try works like a charm. Moving the truck in Drive with engine off doesn't turn the motor as far as I know.

Quick Reply: Starter Replacement?