Power Steering Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Issues

Lately upon startup my Power stearing groans. It has always been nosiy though. Was told by the dealer this was normal for an F-150. It's a 97 with only 112K on the odometer. I had it flushed last Winter and it seemed to help, but it's really noisy when cold.

I'm thinking of trying some Auto-RX in it and flushing replacing the fluid again. Has anyone had any success with Auto-Rx in this application? Or any other suggestions? I am running the Goodyear Gatorback Serpentine belt too. Could that be causing it to graona more tha normal?

Thanks for any advice,

John

Old 10-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Very common for Ford PS pumps to be noisy. People say they groan like heck and seem to last for years after they get noisy. I have a 97 w/ 123k on it and it is noisy. I flushed the fluid and put syntenic in it and it helped enough I put off replacing the pump, at least for now. I bought two quarts and used a siphon to empty reservoir, started truck and turned wheel back and forth the cycle thru steering box. Pumped reservoir out and repeated until I got mostly clean fresh synthenic.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
90's model Ford PS pump are noisy. My last truck was a 98 Explorer and it made crazy noises the 3 years I had it. Never failed.

Old 10-18-2006, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. Is everyone using just plain Mercon ATF in thiers? I was thinking of using Mobil1Synthetic ATF after I flushed it out.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Issues