1998 F-150 Vibrations & Shutter - Fixed! Shocks recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1998 F-150 Vibrations & Shutter - Fixed! Shocks, pinging & brakes?

RE: 1998 F-150 XLT 2WD (Limited Slip Differential)

Hey guys,

I don't know much about the mechanics of my truck, and I'm at the mercy of the dealer to make appropriate repairs. I'm just posting this in case it helps someone else.

- I was experiencing "shutters" when my vehicle was at a dead stop, and then I accelerated to turn (left or right).

- I had vibrations in the drive train that were growing progressively worse. Highway-speeds were full of vibrations. When that was fixed, I was left with low-speed coast vibrations... meaning accelerating from 0-70km/hr and then letting off the accelerator, resulted in a vibration that was accompanied by a warble-sound that grew louder the more the vehicle slowed. (70km/hr -> 50km/hr).

After a few trips to the shop, the following repairs finally corrected all the problems.

1. Replaced U Joints. (Resolved highway-speed vibrations, but still left with a low-speed and coast vibration, and the turning shutter). Went back to dealer.

2. Replaced Rear Differential Axle Bearings and Seals, Differential Clutch Pack and Carrier. (Eliminated shutter when making a left or right turn from dead stop). *Of note, Ford released a revised clutch pack which addressed this issue. Went back to dealer.

3. Replaced Extension Housing. (Eliminated low-speed coast vibration and accompanying noise).

Two months of frustration finally resolved! Running great once again, but now that I know I wasn't suffering from OCD about the above mentioned problems:

- I do think I need new shocks.

- Even after a $650 tune up, it still pings in passing gear.

I did a quick bit of research on the net and it seems that Bielstein shocks are great investments in a comfortable ride, but has anyone had any experience with decent cheaper alternatives -- such as Monroe Sensitrac or similar?

Also, has anyone had their trucks' onboard computer "flashed" by the dealer to include the latest fixes for your model, and did it result in less pinging in passing gear? I thought I once read somewhere here that having it flashed fixed that common issue. If not, oil recommendations? I get 5W30 every oil change per Ford's recommendations. I've tried higher octane gas and it helped a bit, but not enough to warrant paying 10 cents more per litre every 97-litre fill up.

Finally, anyone else p*ssed with their braking system? I've never had a vehicle before that sucks so bad at emergency stopping. I bought this truck January 2005; have had new rotors, calipers, pads (oops shoulda' went ceramic -- brake dust), rear shoes and rear wheel cylinders replaced -- all with negative results. Emergency braking is incredibly disappointing. I'd be happier without the rear ABS, and wish I could disable them. It's impossible to lock even my front wheels for more than a 1/2 second--even though I don't have front ABS. Any suggestions? I'm told they're "normal".

Thanks! Besides the above, (believe it or not), great truck. Looking forward to affording an '06 in a couple years.

Jay - Toronto

Last edited by skyyyz; 10-25-2006 at 09:18 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Pinging - as I recall the 98's had a problem with something in the intake becoming clogged and causing the pinging....EGR maybe?

there are several threads on this topic...i believe.

shocks - I liked the cheap Rancho's. I have the expensive Rancho's now and they are GREAT!

Brakes - The ceramic pads are GREAT! At least on my 02, I sold the 98 in 2000.

Old 10-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Thanks TS. I posted in the Engine forum as well, which is where this thread seemed to take off. Appreciate the advice and I will be going ceramic next change.

Jay

Quick Reply: 1998 F-150 Vibrations & Shutter - Fixed! Shocks recommendations?