Noise in rear end when turning tight radius

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Noise in rear end when turning tight radius

Hey all,

I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any help you could give. I have a '03 F-150 Flareside with 3.55 gears and a limitied slip. I just started getting a low pitch sqeaking sound when turning tight radius turns like parking spots, etc. It is somewhere between a rubber on rubber sound and a low metalic grind. I jacked up the rear end and there doesn't seem to be anything obvious. There also doesn't seem to be much play in the axle itself but there a little bit of play (maybe 1/8th in.). I'm not very experienced mechanically speaking. Does anyone have any ideas. Will this be expensive? I did get the extended warrantee when I bought it so I am still covered. Oh, it has 63K on it.

Thanks,
Dale

Old 11-06-2006, 07:30 PM
If you have limited-slip in the rear, it could need some friction modifier...$5 at your dealer.

Did you do anything like have your diff fluid changed recently?

Old 11-06-2006, 08:15 PM
No, no work has been done and it hasn't been in water, etc. I did take out the fill plug to check it and it was good with no metal on the magnet. I like your suggestion, hopefully it is just a $5 fix. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your advise.

Take care,
Dale

Old 11-10-2006, 08:01 PM
FYI All,

Turned out to need a new clutch pack. Just thought I would post in case someone else is having the same issue.

Dale

Old 11-15-2006, 09:35 AM
I've read all over that this is a VERY common problem with the LS diff's in the 03's. Mine is starting to act up.. slight shudder when starting to take off and chirping tires when giving it any pedal at all around tight corners..

If you don't mind me asking.. how did it run you?

Quick Reply: Noise in rear end when turning tight radius