Breaking in new gears?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Breaking in new gears?

Is there a procedure to breaking in new gears?

Old 11-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i always recomend to take it easy for the first 500 miles then take the cover off and check for abnormal wear and change the fluid. good luck.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigtruck311
i always recomend to take it easy for the first 500 miles then take the cover off and check for abnormal wear and change the fluid. good luck.
x2
That's exactly what the shop told me to do when I had my gears changed.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a good tip...

Old 11-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Question

The tech told me my ring and pinion were ok.He also said my pinion bearings were ok too.They replaced the spider gears,pinion shaft and bolt,c-clips,axle bearings and seals,along with the u-joints.Do I still have to break the spiders in the same way?Why would spider gears go bad?I thought they were only used on turns,and I "do not" hot rod my truck in any way! I don't even haul anything!

Old 11-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
The tech told me my ring and pinion were ok.He also said my pinion bearings were ok too.They replaced the spider gears,pinion shaft and bolt,c-clips,axle bearings and seals,along with the u-joints.Do I still have to break the spiders in the same way?Why would spider gears go bad?I thought they were only used on turns,and I "do not" hot rod my truck in any way! I don't even haul anything!
You probably didn't need your spider gears replaced. The old spider gears would have worked in the new carrier, so it was just another excuse to make the bill a little bit bigger Also, you didn't need the pinion shaft, bolt or c-clips replaced. All of those parts are meant to last a life-time, unless you end up snapping one, which is really hard to do anyway. I'd recommend you not take your truck back to wherever you got your gears changed out, they really ripped you off.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Question

Originally Posted by frobird
You probably didn't need your spider gears replaced. The old spider gears would have worked in the new carrier, so it was just another excuse to make the bill a little bit bigger Also, you didn't need the pinion shaft, bolt or c-clips replaced. All of those parts are meant to last a life-time, unless you end up snapping one, which is really hard to do anyway. I'd recommend you not take your truck back to wherever you got your gears changed out, they really ripped you off.
Those are the only parts they replaced.They compared my spider gears with new ones.Mine were chipped,rounded on some edges,incorrect wear pattern,and cut grooves in some of the teeth.The spider gears came in a kit,which included the pinion shaft,bolt,and c-clips.
The part that baffled me is,how did they know my pinion bearings were ok if they did not take the carrier and such apart?

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by bigtruck311
Just installed my Precision 4.10s today...it'll be hard but I guess I'll have to do it to protect my investment...

Old 11-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Those are the only parts they replaced.They compared my spider gears with new ones.Mine were chipped,rounded on some edges,incorrect wear pattern,and cut grooves in some of the teeth.The spider gears came in a kit,which included the pinion shaft,bolt,and c-clips.
The part that baffled me is,how did they know my pinion bearings were ok if they did not take the carrier and such apart?
Visual inspection is usually fine enough. When you are wearing in gears, you are looking for small flakes of metal, which is probably all that you had. If there are bigger chunks, then one must assume that the carrier bearings are probably going to go bad. If not, it's all gravy

Good news about the spider gears though. Glad to hear you weren't ripped off By the way, how much did they charge for the installation?

Old 11-30-2006, 05:24 AM
Exclamation

Spider gear kit,axle bearings,axle seals,new Spicer u-joints,3-quarts of Mobil1 75W140 fluid,and new factory cover- $457.12 :santa:

Quick Reply: Breaking in new gears?