My rear end Keeps leaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep, That's what it did too and it will be doing it soon again this spring haha.

Undercoating don't spark? Guess I better break down and buy something.

Wouldn't mind a nice Aluminum one, I can't remember who , think it was Bartak, had a cool cover for the gears.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id much rather replace a diff cover than a oil pan. had a 96 dakota the winters ended up eating a dime size hole right thru it. not a fun job.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by keith97xlt
id much rather replace a diff cover than a oil pan. had a 96 dakota the winters ended up eating a dime size hole right thru it. not a fun job.
Depends on the vehicle... the pan on my Explorer was leaking this summer... rust had eaten right through it. It took me longer to clean up the mess from when I drained it than it did to change the pan... it was all of 18 screws and the thing fell right off... I'd happily change 100 oil pans on the 4.0 SOHC before the diff cover!

Old 01-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by GIJoeCam
Depends on the vehicle... the pan on my Explorer was leaking this summer... rust had eaten right through it. It took me longer to clean up the mess from when I drained it than it did to change the pan... it was all of 18 screws and the thing fell right off... I'd happily change 100 oil pans on the 4.0 SOHC before the diff cover!

It's not bad Joe....As long as you have a big enough drain pan underneath, like maybe one as big as a bed.
The last time I did, I thought, haha no mess this time ...I purchased one of those grease gun size suction guns - To bad the hose couldn't get past the gears inside the filler hole

Last edited by jbrew; 01-04-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DOUROS81
On my 04 F-150 Heritage the rear end keeps leaking. I have taken it to the deal three times already, and they have not fixed the problem yet. It leaks form the casting holes that are on each side of the cover plate. And it looks like it is leaking form the plate also.

What should I do? I have taken it to the same dealership for all the repairs. Could the casting on the rear housing be bad causing it to leak so much? I’m running out of miles I’m at 29, xxx miles, I want this thing fixed right.
thanks

It has leaked since I brought the truck, I think that the rear houseing is not made right. It could have been a rejected part that Ford just slap on it. My hood was made in 2002. Should I go back to the same dealer or go to a new one. The last time I took it in they slapped some type of metal epoxy all over it, mainly where the tubes go into the rear end and the casting holes. But some how the oil is leaking out. I look under my truck when I was cleaning it, and found that dirt was sticking to the houseing. I wiped it and found that it was oil. I clean it all off, and I'm going to driving it and and look for oil.
From what you are saying and since this leak has been there since the vehicle was new, it appears sealer was not applied to the axle tubes when they were pressed in at the point of axle housing assembly. I can see where this may happen one in several thousand units (training new assembly technician, break time or lunch time and assembler forgot to add sealer before pressing the steel tubes into the cast center section of the axle assembly).

You definetely have a valid warranty concern that sounds like you need a new axle housing. If dealer doesn't want to address and fix the problem correctly, I recommend choosing a dealer that will fix it correctly or call FOMOCO direct and get a zone rep. involved.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mines leaking too

I have an 01 SC 4x4 5.4, and I have some oil seeping out of what looks like the rear axle cover.. The cover looks pretty rusty, so i'll probably just replace it. Anything I should know ? or is it pretty straight forward, drain, remove cover, clean up any gasket material, new gasket new cover, re-fill ?? also what type and how much oil does it hold ?? should any sealant be used.. Thanks Chris..

Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just make sure you can remove the fill plug before you pop the cover to drain it. 'Tis better to be sure you can refill it before draining it.

-Joe

Quick Reply: My rear end Keeps leaking