electric 4x4 NOT WORKING

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question electric 4x4 NOT WORKING

I Have A 1997 F150 4.6 And Electric 4wheel Shift Not Working. I Turn The Switch And Noting Happens. I Checked The Fuses And Relays What Not And They Seem Fine. No Clue Which Transfer Case I Have. Any Suggestions Before I Take It In.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:40 PM
i did this

last winter my 99 didnt work, as i barely use it, so i searched this forum and found all the things to check. with truck running, does it have vaccuum to the switch down below? mine did, so i just gave it a little help with a pry bar, and voila, it started working

Old 12-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Yeah! Mine Was Barely Used I Believe, I Bought It Used. I'll Check That Tommorow And Be Checking A Few That I Found Here Tommorow

Old 12-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Need more symptoms. Does the 4x4 light on the dash come on?

Old 12-04-2006, 11:13 AM
The dash light not coming on at all. In low or high. And no engaging noises or anything. Have not had chance to check fluid level yet. Was going to be first but not had chance to check

Last edited by rather_b_fishn; 12-04-2006 at 11:15 AM.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:30 PM
Sorry but I think this is over my head. I'm surprised more people haven't chimed in on this!
Search the threads on this. There is a ton of info on this topic. Most of the time it seems like the motor that inguages the transfer case does work or makes some noise. Its ussually either the switch that tells the truck its in 4 wheel or the front diff. vaccum switch that inguages the front. However, if you aren't hearing any indication of the electric motor switching the transfer case I'd probable start by looking at the fuses that control that electric motor. Check your owners manual to find the right one. I think you have one under the dash and one under the hood. Then perhaps the connections on the elect, motor and the switch(4x4) itself.
good luck. Let me know what you find,bullseye670......

Old 12-05-2006, 10:07 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Start by engaging 4x4 with the truck in park. Jack up the front till the wheels are off the ground. Try turning the front drive shaft. It should not turn. I am betting that it does.

Check fuse #17 30amp in the Power Distribution Box under the hood. Check fuse #23 10amp in the Junction Box Fuse/Relay Panel under the dash. If they check out engage 4Hi and with a rubber mallet go tap the electric shift motor. While you are under there check the connector for corrosion. Has any exhaust/tranny work been done lately?

JMC

Trending Topics

Old 12-07-2006, 07:25 AM
Same scenario here. My dash lights all work, I can here the xcase doing it's job, just no front axle. I'll recheck the vac lines, can anyone tell me where to get the solenoid (or whatever it is) that's at the differential? I'm a Jeep guy and all this vaccuum electronic stuff is new. I just pull the lever and go. Thanks for the help
98 expy with a4wd BTW.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 AM
4 x 4 Same issues

My 97 f 150 has vacume at the actuator and I just had all the vacume lines replaced. The actuator moves when the manual 4x4 lever is engaged but the front hubs do not lock in. The lights come on like they should but when jacked in the air...only the rear tires spin.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by abigjeep
Same scenario here. My dash lights all work, I can here the xcase doing it's job, just no front axle. I'll recheck the vac lines, can anyone tell me where to get the solenoid (or whatever it is) that's at the differential? I'm a Jeep guy and all this vaccuum electronic stuff is new. I just pull the lever and go. Thanks for the help
98 expy with a4wd BTW.
At the dealer. About 145 bucks. They call it a motor. Its under a small plastic black cover on the front diff. Pull the 2 small 'c' clips on the rod to remove. You can check it with a vaccumm pump, most auto stores sell one for about 20 bucks. Ussually comes as a brake bleeding tool.
Applying to one side inguages the other disinguages.

Old 12-07-2006, 10:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The solenoids that actuate the vacuum motor on the diff are on the firewall, passenger side, near the hinge. One solenoid disengages the front diff, and the other engages it. In 2wd, you should have vacuum out the disengagement solenoid, and in 4wd, vacuum in the other. If it does have vacuum correctly, check the vacuum lines, the vacuum motor on the diff, and the fork in the diff that engages the front. That has also been known to break.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Thnaiks for the intel. It will work 1 of 10 tries. I'll check the vaccum lines and see whats going on.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:38 PM
4X4 light works but no 4 wheel

I have a 2003 F-150 4X4 with the 4 wheel drive switch on the dash and mine is doing the same thing. I am a little confused about the vacuum thing. Could someone give me a list of things to check. The light comes on when i turn the switch to 4 wheel. We just got a bunch of snow. Would that have anything to do with it????

Old 12-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
Start by engaging 4x4 with the truck in park. Jack up the front till the wheels are off the ground. Try turning the front drive shaft. It should not turn. I am betting that it does.

Check fuse #17 30amp in the Power Distribution Box under the hood. Check fuse #23 10amp in the Junction Box Fuse/Relay Panel under the dash. If they check out engage 4Hi and with a rubber mallet go tap the electric shift motor. While you are under there check the connector for corrosion. Has any exhaust/tranny work been done lately?

JMC
I'll try that! and let you know. I bought it used about a year ago and don't know if any exhaust or tranny work was done. I have not had any done on it. The 4x4 was working when I bought it. Of course had to try it out. And it worked fine for about 3-4 months then nothing.

Old 12-09-2006, 01:09 PM
i just got one

I just picked up the firewall solenoid for my 99 f150. my dealer had it listed under ignition, and it was called a "valve".(6l3z-9h465-b) Mine was not getting any vaccuum out of it, when in 4wd, which its supposed to. $45 later, and i had my 4wd back.

Quick Reply: electric 4x4 NOT WORKING