Binding When Cornering on Snow Covered Ground

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Binding When Cornering on Snow Covered Ground

Hello.

I own a 98 F-150 4x4. Last week it was snowing with a couple inches accululated on the ground. I had my truck in 4 wheel drive, and noticed a binding sensation when turning the wheel to part the truck. I've never noticed the binding before, but I've only driven in 4x4 on snow 3 times since buying the truck 6 weeks ago. The temperature was quite cold, and the snow was making creaking/crunching noise when it was driven on. In other words, it was the type of snow that offers more traction than snow that falls in warmer temperatures. Is the binding likley a result of the snow being less slippery than the snow I had driven in the past? Has anyone else experienced the binding on snow? I know it is normal to bind on dry pavement (which is why you can't use 4x4 on dry pavement), but I find it odd that it was binding on snow.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2006, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mbruno

In other words, it was the type of snow that offers more traction than snow that falls in warmer temperatures. Is the binding likley a result of the snow being less slippery than the snow I had driven in the past? Has anyone else experienced the binding on snow?
Yes, this is normal. I drive on snow for many months of the year, and when it is cold, and offers traction, that is what is happening.

Old 12-04-2006, 02:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're experiencing driveline bind-up, the traction is too great. You should be in 2wd at that point. Snow or not, bind-up is never a good thing.

-Joe

Quick Reply: Binding When Cornering on Snow Covered Ground