Newbie with some 4X4 questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with some 4X4 questions

Hello,

My name is Shawn and this is my first 4X4 truck. I have an '05 Black Roush screw FX4 and this truck is awesome! I love the split seat center console setup, kinda hummerish.

What's the top speed in 4X4 HI and LOW? How long can you drive in 4X4 HI?

This is the only pic that I have on my comp. so far, lol.

Thanks

Old 01-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Hello, anyone out there?

Not a very welcoming crowd.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:40 PM
just saw your post..and welcome!!!!!!! your owners manual should give you an "idea" of how fast to go in 4Hi and 4Lo.

nice looking truck, too!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks,

Their lies my problem, I don't have an owners manual and ford whats more then I want to spend on it to get one. I wasn't sure that it had all that kind of info in it. I'm also waiting on the Chiltons manual to come out. I was hoping some of the 4X4 guys would know more then the manual.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:52 PM
I want to say that top speed in 4 High should be something like 55 mph. Not sure what it would be in 4 Low, but I would imagine that you'd reach redline in 4th before you got going TOO fast.

As for distance, I imagine that any realistic distance at decent speeds (say, 30-35 mph in 4 High) shouldn't be a problem... if you really need 4WD, you have to ask yourself if you really have any business going much faster than that, IMO.

Remember, these trucks aren't AWD, per se... the 4WD systems are intended to be used on a part time basis.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Originally Posted by streetracer9050
Thanks,

Their lies my problem, I don't have an owners manual and ford whats more then I want to spend on it to get one. I wasn't sure that it had all that kind of info in it. I'm also waiting on the Chiltons manual to come out. I was hoping some of the 4X4 guys would know more then the manual.

Try this

http://www.genuineservice.com/genuin...ault?page=Home

Old 01-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by L98_S10
I want to say that top speed in 4 High should be something like 55 mph. Not sure what it would be in 4 Low, but I would imagine that you'd reach redline in 4th before you got going TOO fast.

As for distance, I imagine that any realistic distance at decent speeds (say, 30-35 mph in 4 High) shouldn't be a problem... if you really need 4WD, you have to ask yourself if you really have any business going much faster than that, IMO.

Remember, these trucks aren't AWD, per se... the 4WD systems are intended to be used on a part time basis.
Thanks, very helpful. I want to test the 4 wheel system out on my street to get a feel for it, but I want to know some limits as to not break anything.

Trending Topics

Old 01-04-2007, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by RobInAb
Awesome, You found a PDF manual. I tried the Ford website and registered my truck, but I couldn't find the manual. I knew it was somewhere out there. Thanks for the link,.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Shifting into or out of 4hi should be done at a max of 55. Once in 4hi, there is no top speed. Although if you need 4x4, going much faster than that would be kinda crazy. You have to be stopped, shifter in neutral, and foot on brake to shift to 4lo. Top speed there will be the RPMs of your engine as it will rev very high at a low speed.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:26 PM
There was another thread about this not too long ago, and although there is evidently some disagreement about safe driving....

Dont worry about how fast you are going in 4H (as far as the truck is concerned). There is no distance limitations, provided you are not on a dry (grippy) surface, as I regularly leave mine on for 500+ miles at a time at speeds up to 65 or so.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:25 AM
Originally Posted by streetracer9050
Thanks, very helpful. I want to test the 4 wheel system out on my street to get a feel for it, but I want to know some limits as to not break anything.
I may be incorrect, and forgive me if I am, but I think what you really want to know is "will my drivetrain twist up like a pretzel and my transfer case shoot out the bottom of my truck if I put it in 4 hi or 4 low and try to launch for kickass take-offs with my supercharged truck on dry pavement the next time a Dodge pulls up to me at a light and wants to go for it". If that is what you are really after I have been wondering the same thing ever since I had my Roush supercharger installed on my 04 F150...but I have not had the nuts to try it. Lauching in 4 hi and then switching over to 2 hi after you got going sounds like a fun idea, but I think the truck wouldn't like that very much it it actually did it and I don't think it would switch out of 4 hi anyway until you took the load of the drivetrain. My two cents. By the way...nice looking ride!

Old 01-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by haywagon
I may be incorrect, and forgive me if I am, but I think what you really want to know is "will my drivetrain twist up like a pretzel and my transfer case shoot out the bottom of my truck if I put it in 4 hi or 4 low and try to launch for kickass take-offs with my supercharged truck on dry pavement the next time a Dodge pulls up to me at a light and wants to go for it". If that is what you are really after I have been wondering the same thing ever since I had my Roush supercharger installed on my 04 F150...but I have not had the nuts to try it. Lauching in 4 hi and then switching over to 2 hi after you got going sounds like a fun idea, but I think the truck wouldn't like that very much it it actually did it and I don't think it would switch out of 4 hi anyway until you took the load of the drivetrain. My two cents. By the way...nice looking ride!
That has crossed my mind, but no, I'll keep the 4x4 off road. That would be fun thou, has anyone tried that?

Old 01-05-2007, 12:46 PM
There used to be a guy at the street races that did that in a Dodge, but I don't know what the long term effects were. It might have been fine, it might have blown up.

I DO know that there is a GM truck guy with a pretty stout (1000+ whp) turbo motor that runs power to all four wheels, but I don't know if he is using an AWD transfer case from a Silverado SS (or similar) or if he's using a part time system like traditional 4WD.

How any of this applies to Fords is anyone's guess, because I sure don't have a clue.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by haywagon
Yes. Your drivetrain will hate you for doing this. Even moreso if you try to turn on dry pavement.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Yes. Your drivetrain will hate you for doing this. Even moreso if you try to turn on dry pavement.
So you shouldn't have it in 4X4 on dry pavement? Is that why it's hard to turn?

Quick Reply: Newbie with some 4X4 questions