Will go into 4x4 when its cold, but not after driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will go into 4x4 when its cold, but not after driving ***Addional Info***

On my 97 it won't go into 4x4 after driving for some time. When cold it goes in. I checked the vaacum lines that go to the canister on the differential as well as I could and they appear to be ok. Could it be the solenoids on the fire wall, what signals them to fire? Working when cold has me baffled.

Last edited by dgreketis; 01-21-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:54 PM
No suggestions

Old 01-09-2007, 10:10 PM
I’m at a loss as to why it only works intermittently…..is the transfer case engaging properly but the front end isn’t? Maybe a bit more info would help the experts (I am not one of them) provide some guidance/recommendations. Good luck.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:23 AM
I was stuck in my drive way and the truck just sat there while the rear wheels just spun. I took a look underneath and saw the front drive shaft turning.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:10 AM
If you have cv joints then one of your axles my be bad,had a ford car front drive one time that the axle went out on it and some times it would work,then it wouldn't.It had a 2 piece axle on one side and it would not move with the axle messed up on that side.Plus could be bad cv's.Something is not locking in for you,but is ok cold and changes after warming up.Wish I had more for you to work with.Keep us posted on what you find.

Old 01-21-2007, 04:14 PM
I'm gonna blown this damn thing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I checked the vacuum lines and the actuator again and everything is fine. I tried something different; I put the truck in 4x4 and drove it for some time. The truck would then go out of 4x4 and back in. The difference this time was that the 4x4 light stayed on even when not in 4x4. It did actually come out of 4x4, I varified this. Something else I noticed; With the truck cold when I shift it into 4x4 I can hear a click behind the glove box. Once it's warmed the clicking stops. But rememeber what I said, the 4x4 light stays on.
Could it actually be the switch that plugs into the transfer case? That's the only thing I can think that would heat up, due to the transfer case heating up.

Quick Reply: Will go into 4x4 when its cold, but not after driving