Extension Housing Bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extension Housing Bushing?

Well, back in the summer i had a low squeal in my drive-line that i never got around to fixing. now i have a vibe at highway speeds under load.

I checked out my driveshaft and found the slip yoke has some play in it. i am going to replace the bushing, seal and U-joints.

Can the bushing be changed with the extension housing on or does it need removed?

Also the book lists Mercon ATF for the transfer case but can Mercon V be used?

BTW, 5.4, 4R70W with Borg Warner 4406 transfer case.

Old 01-10-2007, 05:08 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You need to pull out the slip yoke to replace the seal. While you are in there get the bushing too. Is the slip yoke damaged? If it is you will need to replace it too. When you replace the u-joints be sure to index the drive shaft so that the slip yoke and flanged end are place back in the same position relative to the driveshaft. If you don't it can cause a vibration.

JMC

Old 01-10-2007, 05:19 PM
i haven't pulled out the slip yoke yet, I'm going to get all the parts first.

so the bushing is directly behind the seal and can be removed with the extension housing still on the transfer case then.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:21 PM
alrighty, I'm trying to order the bearing but there are 2 available, a 207 or a 208.

i was told to look on the tag for the number but there isn't a 207 or a 208.

it says....

CO392 4406-22
170137 XL34-BC

i would buy both and return the one i don't need but they only have the 207 in stock.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:38 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I can't help with the number for the bushing. I had a friend at a tranny shop size it using my slip yoke. You can pull the bushing by either cutting a slot in it and pulling it out or by removing the extension housing, messy, and pushing it out. If your local shops cannot provide the bushing you could contact these people. http://www.drivetrain.com/

JMC

Old 01-11-2007, 10:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you tilt the truck just SLIGHTLY nose-down, you can remove the tailhousing without loosing more than a teaspoon of fluid. There's an extensive article about it on TCCoA, so do a little searching.

Call the dealer for the bushing - I bet they'll know which one, AND have it within a day for about the same price as aftermarket.

I also recommend the forced-lube mod while you're at it. Look thru these pics & captions.

Ford says all AODE & 4R70W should have MerconV at the bottom of this page.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:02 PM
Well, i put in the new U-joints today. i indexed all the pieces so they were assembled the same. i popped out the seal and low and behold, the asshat at the parts store sold me the wrong bearing. so i figured id let it go and just install the new seal. Wrong, He also sold me the wrong one, it was the front one. so i stick the old cut seal back in and drive to the parts store. luckily i calmed down a little before i got there. i got my money back and will order the parts from the dealer so i get the correct parts. its not leaking yet but i need to replace it as soon a possible.

On a good note though, the 2 new u-joint fixed the vibe. the old rear one was seized i couldn't even turn it.

I'll check the links you guys posted.

Quick Reply: Extension Housing Bushing?