Ring and Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ring and Pinion

I'm debating whether or not to regear my truck myself. I changed carriers in my rear diff a couple months ago and I'm just wondering how much more involved it is to swap gear ratios. I guess if I do it and get any noises, I can just take it to a shop and have them redo it...

Also, I've got the 8.8 and I've seen that with 4.56s I have to get a different crosspin. Why is this and is there any way to get around it?

Old 01-18-2007, 06:02 AM
will u need the pinion depth gauge i plan on doing my own time and 3300 mile drive shortly after though it might not me a good idea but if you tear ur axles apart like as my dad did mine saves u alot of money to have it done $900 for every thing labor master install kits for both axles i like when they dont have to take every apart

Old 01-18-2007, 08:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you will need a bearing press to get the old bearings off the carrier and the new ones on. you will also need a magnetic base dail indicator to measure the backlash other than that evreything else should be common tools, it is a very timely process to get the gears setup properly if you do not know what you are doing, but every one got to learn, just have patience on the set up process, use a micromiter to measure the shims on the pinion and side to use as your baseline and make adjustments from there, good luck.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Duffman0286, were you at in Iraq? i am out at Haditha with 2/3 in the Anbar province. going home here shortly i hope. you take it easy and keep your head down.

Sgt Cuda U.S.M.C.
Simper Fi

Old 01-18-2007, 01:26 PM
Like I said I swapped carrriers a while back so I'm familer with shimming it out and the whole backlash process. I just wanted to know if there was anything else I should know about the pinion gear, as I have not messed with that before.

Old 01-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by jiggle
Like I said I swapped carrriers a while back so I'm familer with shimming it out and the whole backlash process. I just wanted to know if there was anything else I should know about the pinion gear, as I have not messed with that before.
To get the crush sleeve to crush correctly you better have a bad a$$ impact or breaker bar and socket with a cheater pipe! I just had my 8.8 rebuilt and even with the bad a$$ impacts they were using they still had a fun time crushing the sleeve.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:08 PM
I have 1" drive impacts that put out like 1000ft/lbs at my work. If that won't do it I don't know what will. So far it doesn't sound like the pinion gear is really anything difficult compared to shimming the carrier. I think I'll try it myself and if I'm in over my head I'll take it to a shop and let them deal with it.

Old 01-20-2007, 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by jiggle
I have 1" drive impacts that put out like 1000ft/lbs at my work. If that won't do it I don't know what will. So far it doesn't sound like the pinion gear is really anything difficult compared to shimming the carrier. I think I'll try it myself and if I'm in over my head I'll take it to a shop and let them deal with it.
sounds like a plan good luck

Old 01-21-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by bigtruck311
Duffman0286, were you at in Iraq? i am out at Haditha with 2/3 in the Anbar province. going home here shortly i hope. you take it easy and keep your head down.

Sgt Cuda U.S.M.C.
Simper Fi

Great to see other marines on here currently in TQ airbase spent 6months in fallujah and 6 here in TQ year out here is way to long.. be heading to cali next wk im a ENG with 9th comm

great truck you have there sgt one of the those trucks that force me to lift mine.

Lcpl Eliason

Old 01-22-2007, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by Duffman0286
Great to see other marines on here currently in TQ airbase spent 6months in fallujah and 6 here in TQ year out here is way to long.. be heading to cali next wk im a ENG with 9th comm

great truck you have there sgt one of the those trucks that force me to lift mine.

Lcpl Eliason

you have probably seen my truck on Pendleton, this is my third tour to Iraq, i did two tours with 7th eng. in the 14 area for the invasion and fallujah out at the mech. now i am attached to 2/3 out in the middle of no were. TQ is nice, chicks everywere, there are no females out here for miles unless you count hajis. i will be heading back in a month or so doing a 9 month tour. i will look for your truck on pendleton i am out in 41 area with Light Armoured Recon. you take it easy and have a safe trip back.

Sgt Cuda
Simper Fi

Old 01-22-2007, 11:43 AM
no i havent seen it yet only spent a wk in cali b4 i deployed
you be seeing mine in april its back home in indiana

Old 02-03-2007, 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by Duffman0286
no i havent seen it yet only spent a wk in cali b4 i deployed
you be seeing mine in april its back home in indiana

guys, tried to keep ya'lls heads up and asses down over there. i did 13 months Army Infantry over there back in 04. our AO was between camp liberty to taji, and from there we made a triangle up to abu ghraib.

when ya come home, look me up

Old 02-03-2007, 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by crash_lucky13
guys, tried to keep ya'lls heads up and asses down over there. i did 13 months Army Infantry over there back in 04. our AO was between camp liberty to taji, and from there we made a triangle up to abu ghraib.

when ya come home, look me up
my time is getting short i come back next month, 25 months in Iraq with three tours under the belt, hopefully i will get alittle break this time, my truck only has 40K miles, but i cant complain all the time i spend over here pays for all my toys you guys take it easy see you stateside

Sgt Cuda
Simper Fi

Quick Reply: Ring and Pinion