Good deal on fixin the rear end whine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TRIXSNK

Was it farily obvious the carrier was warped when inspected by another mechanic? Did the others just miss that?
Well,they were leaning towards the carrier or the whole differential housing being bad.The first attempt at setting up the gears was all it took after a new carrier was installed.She's quiet as a church mouse now!

Old 01-31-2007, 01:36 AM
Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
I got my 02 at 33,000 miles and later realized the rear sing happens between 45 and 55 mph but not very loud. Truck now has 79,000 miles, has pulled max limit gross combined weights and still has not gotten any worse.
It's interesting that a lot of trucks had this wine/sing in the same range.
I would think the carrier was not machined straight from the factory, not a warped condition.
Makes sense since nothing done will change anything using the original carrier casting if it is not machined true.
Currently I am rebuilding an 8.8LS in a car with everything but axle drive gears and carrier casting. Both truck and car rears are built the same way except for axle spline counts etc..
Good luck..

Last edited by Bluegrass; 01-31-2007 at 01:42 AM.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yup

Originally Posted by Quintin
Think about this for a second - if the axle is noisy, something's changed/broke/worn out to cause this noise. Changing pinion depth to try to fix it is like taking asprin for a chainsaw wound.

If you're gonna go so far as to disassemble the axle to gain access to the pinion gear, you may as well inspect and replace whatever else needs replacing while you're in there. No sense in half assing it, 'cause you'll just have to take it apart again later.
Once the gears are knife edged they will always sound like a ups truck. Also the strength is greatly reduced. Also for anyone out there who found someone who will install new gears for much cheaper than those who come highly recommended, pay the money for the best place you can find. Best money you can spend is not paying twice...

Quick Reply: Good deal on fixin the rear end whine?