Towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Towing capacity

I have a 06 F-150 supercrew. Me and my kids are going to start racing four wheelers this next season. I currently have a 5x14 utility trailer. I am considering stepping up to a nice enclosed trailer. I have found a 24ft. that I really like, but I don't know how much strain it will put on my trucks drivetrain. Is this too much trailer for my truck? It won't really be loaded down. Nothing more than 4 or 5 quads/dirt bikes and some tools and spare parts. My truck is a 2wd, 4.6L, 3.55 rear end. Any thoughts?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 05 STX with the 4.6L and 3.55 gears. In the winter I tow a 26' aluminum enclosed 4 place snowmobile trailer and in the summer an open 2 place snowmobile trailer for the four-wheelers. I don't know exactly how much the enclosed weighs in at with 4 sleds and gear in it, but I'm going to guess around 5500 (3500 for trailer, 4 sleds at about 485 each, and another 100 or so pounds worth of gear and misc sled parts). Obviously the truck is not a speed demon with a load like this, especially with the 4.6 (worst mistake of my life with this engine), but it CAN do the job. I monitor my tranny temp and everything with my edge and nothing has come to the point where it has been dangerous for the truck. I think as long as youre not constantly towing this weight ALL the time, it won't be too bad for the truck. Weekend excursions you should be fine.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yuor truck should handle that just fine. The only thing you might want to for peace of mind is add a tranny cooler, if you don't have one already.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ditto... you won't win any land speed records with that combo, but it'll tow it just fine. Just be careful how you load it as it's very easy to put a LOT of weight up front, and you don't want to overload the truck with excessive tongue weight. You may need to play with the load positioning (e.g. where you put the tool boxes versus the quads, etc) to get a good balance. 7-10% of the gross trailer weight should be on the tongue, and it's easy enough to verify at any truck stop with a scale.

-Joe

Quick Reply: Towing capacity