LS for my rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS for my rear diff

I am currently bidding on a used limited slip for my rear diff it came out of the same year and model as mine, and was reported to only have 45K on it. I was wondering if there is anything about the ford limited slip I should ask about before I get it. I have never really delt with used LS's or for that matter ford's factory product. I saw a steal and was going to jump on it. But I thougt Id ask you guys first.

(OK I edited this to say the listing was changed and now she says It has a speed gear on it and it only has 23K on it but didnt the speed gear come on the 97 and before models?)

Last edited by SCREWKR; 01-31-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by SCREWKR
(OK I edited this to say the listing was changed and now she says It has a speed gear on it and it only has 23K on it but didnt the speed gear come on the 97 and before models?)
What she is probably refering to is the ABS gear. It's my understanding that pre 97 models used that gear for the ABS AND the speed sensor. 97-03s only use them for the ABS. I'm not sure about 04+. Your speed sensor should be in the tranny. If I'm wrong about any of this somebody please correct me.

As far as a used LS, you should find out why they're selling it. If the truck was in an accident and they're parting it out then it's probably okay. What you don't want is somebody who installed their own differential (and did it incorrectly) and now wants to sell it because it was making noises or acting up. Another thing to look into with the Ford LSDs is the cltuches. They are notorious for wearing out after 60k miles under normal driving conditions. If the diff has 45K on it, it might be a good idea to either replace the clutch packs before you install it or just buy a whole new carrier. You didn't list any specifics about your rearend, but I bought a Ford LSD for my 8.8 rearend about 4 months ago for $280 brand new. If this person is asking any more than half that, I would say just spend a little bit more and buy something you KNOW hasn't been abused.

Sorry, this is pretty long but I'm in the talking mood.

The next question is why you are buying this. If you blew your rearend and need a new one quickly then this may be a good option. However, if you are doing it just because you want a limited slip, do yourself a favor and don't waste your money. Like I said, I upgraded to a Ford LS when I blew my open rearend and I am dissapointed by it every time I go offroad. It is just about worthless IMO. If you want a rearend that will give you more traction, there are dozens, if not hundreds, out there for less than $450. Any one of which will work better than a stock Ford one.

Most of this is just my opinion, but like I said, if I'm wrong about anything please correct me.

Also, it would help if you posted some specs about your truck. Year, 2/4wd, gear ratio, etc...

Old 02-02-2007, 06:32 PM
I thought about what you said and If im going to buy a limited slip I might as well get a good one if I am going to spend the money to have it installed.But for the record it sold for $88 I got outbid by $8.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:41 PM
I think you'll be happier with just about ANY aftermarket LS than a stock Ford one. Good luck and have fun.

Quick Reply: LS for my rear diff