My 4x4 Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Case45
Yea LS sucks... Im going to need more traction too. I heard the Lock-Rights were pretty good at a decent price..
I havent shopped around yet because it will be about another year before I really do something.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by 05supercrew
I havent shopped around yet because it will be about another year before I really do something.
It just sucks that the LSD isnt what its cracked up to be. Hell Id hate to see how horrible the traction are on the open diffs. Im adding a body lift and toyo 35's , so Im hoping my stock size tires is one reason by I can never get a grip. Even so Im definitely upgrading the LSD before the years over.

Old 03-01-2007, 05:17 PM
It just sucks that the LSD isnt what its cracked up to be. Hell Id hate to see how horrible the traction are on the open diffs. Im adding a body lift and toyo 35's , so Im hoping my stock size tires is one reason by I can never get a grip. Even so Im definitely upgrading the LSD before the years over.
Our LS isnt much better then the open diff. My wifes 05 Tahoe walks all over my truck. It sucks that we spend so much money on our trucks and more for the LSD and we have to swap it out right away.

Last edited by 05supercrew; 03-16-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Yeah your right, it does suck... The LSD money pit haha, Impressive truck you got there tho! I love the look of The new F150's, SHARP!

Old 03-01-2007, 06:20 PM
how are the GM LSD's compared to the Ford's LSD? I know the SUV's do really well, but thats because of the added weight. Do the GM pickups with LSD perform alot better than the Fords or are they pretty comparable?

Old 03-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Yeah your right, it does suck... The LSD money pit haha, Impressive truck you got there tho! I love the look of The new F150's, SHARP!
Thanks, Your truck is pretty sharp too.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by KLUMB15
how are the GM LSD's compared to the Ford's LSD? I know the SUV's do really well, but thats because of the added weight. Do the GM pickups with LSD perform alot better than the Fords or are they pretty comparable?
To me the GM (at least my wifes Tahoe 05 and my last Tahoe 97) pulls much better in snow and sand. The lsd works a lot better then fords. But I think the fords are a lot stronger build minus the LS. Both trucks have there + and -. Ive been off roading with my cousins H2 Hummer and that is awsome off road. It sucks that I have to spend a great deal of money just to get my truck were it should be.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:27 PM
my 06' lariat has LSam I going to run into problems next year in the snow? if so what should I upgrade keeping in mind I'm poor and don't wanna change the appearance of the truck?

Old 03-03-2007, 11:13 PM
BSL
Standard?

Originally Posted by hllon4whls
LSD is standard on an FX4, option on the XLT and it sounds like it may be an option in the lariat.

You can add an air locker to the front and rear for that matter. This will get you the best 4x4 traction that you can have and good manners on the street.

A limited slip rear will probably get you most of what you need unless you want to play in the mud or do some serious trail riding.
Hey I have an '02 FX4 and it's got a code 19 which is not LSD according to the table earlier in this post, is it just the newer FX4's that have standard LSD?

Old 03-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Monkey#39
my 06' lariat has LSam I going to run into problems next year in the snow? if so what should I upgrade keeping in mind I'm poor and don't wanna change the appearance of the truck?
No not at all. Im poor also lol. My mod come one at a time and are spread apart.

Last edited by 05supercrew; 03-16-2007 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:42 PM
I drove GM LS's for years. They seem to react quicker than the Fords but you get into the problem of them shifting power from one axle to the other frequently and quickly, not enough time for power on one axle at a time to make a difference. And then there was always the "ratchet clunk" you would hear when turning a corner on a GM LS. The Ford's seem to have a slower reaction time and takes more power to engage the LS but I don't hear the "ratchet clunk" when turning a corner.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deskinsd
I honestly can't tell a difference in my 3.55 Lsd over an open it still seems like I get stuck just as easy as my friends dodge and chevy's with open diffs
I agree! I have the 3.73's with the factory limited slip diff's in my 07 super crew XLT 4x4. One time while offroading we came across a patch of ice out in a field. I stopped right in the middle of it while in 4x4 low, not thinking anything of it. When I went to take off... NO GO. While it was still in gear, I hopped out of the truck and was watching the rear right and the front left tire spinning very slowly (still in 4x4 LOW and in Drive) but the truck is not moving. I thought that the limited slip diff's were suppose to avoid this exact situation. Ever since then I've been planning on putting electric lockers in the front and rear, but I can never seam to come up with the money, it's something like $1800 for both installed.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:02 AM
How do I know a Lariat 4x4 is LSD?

I'm looking at a 2003 F150 for sale. It is a Lariat 4x4, but not a FX4x4.
How do I identify whether it has the limited slip.
I saw one post say the door pillar - 19 or H9 - does this mean it has or doesn't?
Thanks,

Old 03-19-2007, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by PhqChevys
I agree! I have the 3.73's with the factory limited slip diff's in my 07 super crew XLT 4x4. One time while offroading we came across a patch of ice out in a field. I stopped right in the middle of it while in 4x4 low, not thinking anything of it. When I went to take off... NO GO. While it was still in gear, I hopped out of the truck and was watching the rear right and the front left tire spinning very slowly (still in 4x4 LOW and in Drive) but the truck is not moving. I thought that the limited slip diff's were suppose to avoid this exact situation. Ever since then I've been planning on putting electric lockers in the front and rear, but I can never seam to come up with the money, it's something like $1800 for both installed.
This is one of the reasons I havent done it yet. 2k to install something I paid extra for at the dealer.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:26 AM
BSL
Originally Posted by crahm
I'm looking at a 2003 F150 for sale. It is a Lariat 4x4, but not a FX4x4.
How do I identify whether it has the limited slip.
I saw one post say the door pillar - 19 or H9 - does this mean it has or doesn't?
Thanks,

19 is non LS. if it's H9 it has a LS diff. it's a pretty obvious sticker in the pillar, good luck man

Quick Reply: My 4x4 Sucks!